Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, but I was away for the weekend. Believe me, the protein skimmer being in the first compartment isn't going to send perfect water to the refugium. A lot of water gets by it. I would not want to interfere at all with any pods trying to make it to the return pump. One pump is going to be enough of a challenge, without them having to go through the skimmer pump too.

Sorry, but I was away for the weekend. Believe me, the protein skimmer being in the first compartment isn't going to send perfect water to the refugium. A lot of water gets by it. I would not want to interfere at all with any pods trying to make it to the return pump. One pump is going to be enough of a challenge, without them having to go through the skimmer pump too.

Duh, I forgot bout the pods, Thanks.

Here's one I made a few years back for a FOWLR. 30L

Thanks for the pictures. I love pictures, explaining forget it, pictures make sense. Do you think you could take a close up of the water flowing from refugium though the baffles to the return pump, I can't quite make it out. If you can't no prob.

Small Update

I have aptasia with nothing to kill it with.

Does anyone know how to make an aptasia zapper and can send me an email with directions (and pictures)?

Still working on sump.:(

Can't think lately, haven't done hardly anything with my tank or my dog; more issues at work..go figure.

I know the feeling Buffy. I've been having the same work garbage going on slowing down my progress. Just take it slow and it'll be fine :). Have you tried the lemon juice or boiling water on the aiptasia? I didn't have much luck with it myself, but others swear by it.

I don't have any lemon juice, I used the last of it for lemonade. Won't do that again.

How do you do the boiling water?

Never tried it myself, only the lemon juice. I'd just take some distilled water and boil it. I do know that they say the key is to hit the aiptasia with it while it is still boiling. You'll need a turkey baster or syringe for this obv.

There are tons of ways to kill it. Do you dose kalkwasser? That stuff will do. Same with hydrogen peroxide, but be careful with it.

I recently found a couple of beauties ( aptasias ) in a corner of my tank under a little over hang,....I bought a aptasias x kit and wow,..that really took care of em instantly .... But like the good folks here have said,.. There's many ways to get rid of em .,,,, go get'em girl.

Unfortunately they are gonna grow, no energy. :( I have a big one on the right side in front and 4 or 5 little ones on one of my coral plugs.:hide:

There are tons of ways to kill it. Do you dose kalkwasser? That stuff will do. Same with hydrogen peroxide, but be careful with it.

No I don't dose. Woohoo I have hydrogen peroxide. Why be careful.....what happens? They blow up and I get slimed?? lol

Lol not so much. It's dangerous to corals. Turn the pumps off for sure and I would do a water change to be on the safe side. It is also a method to kill cyano as a last resort.

Lol not so much. It's dangerous to corals. Turn the pumps off for sure and I would do a water change to be on the safe side. It is also a method to kill cyano as a last resort.

I think I'll wait.

I don't like them bigger snails. They all congregate in the corners 6, 7, 8 of them til one escapes to the top and I catch him and pluck him off and back in the tank he goes only to start the upward journey again. I think they are like cats and don't like water, they are completely above the water line and even have dry shells on some of them.

Every night I pluck them off so they don't go over the edge LOL pun intended.

Not sure if it would work on the larger ones but on the smaller ones you can entomb them in super glue gel. I had a couple on the base of my scoly and didn't want to risk the Aptasia X that close to him. Glue worked great.

Few Pics

Well, I finally got the guts to start.

Here's a few pictures of the piping for the sump.

Here is the line from the return pump.

This is the back. I'm T'ing off and having 2 return lines. 1 for each corner.

The valves set up is on the far corner run only so far.

How's it look?

Great! It seems like it will work well.

Are you going to have an ato? The evaporation on the return is going to happen fast, especially since its a little low.

Great! It seems like it will work well.

Are you going to have an ato? The evaporation on the return is going to happen fast, especially since its a little low.

Yes I plan on having an ATO. I was moving the sump around last night trying to figure where I want another elbo so I can fit a container of some sort in there. I'd like a brute in there but I don't know if they make them small enough.

I go back to work tomorrow (was suspended without pay for 5 days - that setup stuff I was talking about before......well here we go, now to fight to keep my job), in the mean time:

I hope to get the other return line run tonite. I have a few things to order before I can finish it. I still need a return flow nozzle for the inside top of tank.

Should I keep my 2 Koralia 750 Evolutions in the tank or take them out when my sump is done? WOW that feels weird to type "sump is done" LMAO.

I'm still wanting to add some more fish but I'm not ready to add any more fish yet. I want my sump done first.

I am gonna ride my bike to tanning, therapy, then to store for lemon juice for the Aptasia, I hope I get them.

Thanks for following, remember any advice is appreciated. I like when I have options (other's advice) to think about and decide which will work for me. Ya'll have been great.

Final note...I hope I don't have to get rid of all my SW stuff after getting this far. Keep fingers crossed, I need 7 1/2 years to stay to retire.

Back
Top Bottom