Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffy said:
Yup Yup Yup. Can't wait.

You get yours yet?

I still got to do my overflow, I got to get that one inch drain turned into a 1/2 pipe, then it's all good.

The only thing I have coming is a couple f encrusting purple/ blue monti's ,...not something I'm on the edge of my seat for either ,.but .... When you lead the exciting life such as I do ,these little things keep me from sitting in the park and feeding the pigeons :-/

Dary421 said:
The only thing I have coming is a couple f encrusting purple/ blue monti's ,...not something I'm on the edge of my seat for either ,.but .... When you lead the exciting life such as I do ,these little things keep me from sitting in the park and feeding the pigeons :-/

Lol dary, I have read about you getting how many corals in the past month? Plus you go fishing, hardcore fishing. Either your life is far from boring or I'm a 15 yr old potato..

Buffy, the sump looks great btw. Much neater than I could've ever done. The two quarantine tanks... How big are they?

needmorecowbell said:
Lol dary, I have read about you getting how many corals in the past month? Plus you go fishing, hardcore fishing. Either your life is far from boring or I'm a 15 yr old potato..

Buffy, the sump looks great btw. Much neater than I could've ever done. The two quarantine tanks... How big are they?

Glad YOU think my life's exciting " spuds" ,......

Actually they are pretty little. I've got them in one for now. The other wasn't ready. So all the fishies are acclimated and all but one is in qt. I put the Butterfly right in the DT (after acclimation), I should have QT'd him but, the aiptasia really needs him.

I made my last (for awhile) purchase of live stock today also. Woohoo Coral Morphologic is back and I got a few (5) corals from them. Time to let it all settle out and fine tune and start my new build soon.

I'm thinking of gluing some egg crate here and there to the glass so a coral can have his very own space in never never land :)

I'm thinking of gluing some egg crate here and there to the glass so a coral can have his very own space in never never land :)

Glue it to magnets so you can move it around the tank as needed nice to be able to move the coral closer to or farther from the lights and flow.

Glue it to magnets so you can move it around the tank as needed nice to be able to move the coral closer to or farther from the lights and flow.

Sweet idea, thanks. I would have glued to the glass lol.

Grizz said:

Genius!

Oh, their small fish, that's good. How long do you think they will be in there? I really wish I could do a qt, but my mom said no more bodies of water :/

Thats a good idea! Wish I had some extra space in my sump, I'd put a rack for low lights in it!

Buffy, just wanted to say you are one of my inspirations as well though I don't much. I love you persistence and determination to do all that plumbing. If I didn't have my DH to do it for me, I probably wouldn't have continued. It just seems so hard sometimes to keep up with everything and your plumbing looks better than mine! Don't let my DH find out I said that. Of course he was only doing it as a favor. I'm sure I'd he had been doing it for himself, it would have turned out better. I am just glad he was willing to do it. I'm still looking for a good used skimmer that will fit since I made the mistake of doing the sump before getting a skimmer ugggh :(

Anyway hang in there! You are doing great in my opinion (for whatever that's worth).
Diana

Oh, their small fish, that's good. How long do you think they will be in there? I really wish I could do a qt, but my mom said no more bodies of water :/

Thats a good idea! Wish I had some extra space in my sump, I'd put a rack for low lights in it!

I'm thinking about a month that they will be in QT. I didn't QT the corals or the Butterflyfish. I was hoping he'd be eating the Aiptasia by now but now I just wish he'd eat.

Buffy, just wanted to say you are one of my inspirations as well though I don't much. I love you persistence and determination to do all that plumbing. If I didn't have my DH to do it for me, I probably wouldn't have continued. It just seems so hard sometimes to keep up with everything and your plumbing looks better than mine! Don't let my DH find out I said that. Of course he was only doing it as a favor. I'm sure I'd he had been doing it for himself, it would have turned out better. I am just glad he was willing to do it. I'm still looking for a good used skimmer that will fit since I made the mistake of doing the sump before getting a skimmer ugggh :(

Anyway hang in there! You are doing great in my opinion (for whatever that's worth).
Diana

Thank you, I'm just doing what I can, when I can. It just takes me longer than others.:eek:

Update

So the fish are all in QT except butterfly, the 2 corals that came with them are in DT. I just received 5 corals from CoralMorphologic.com today but I had surgery today (nothing major - but they did have to knock me out for it) so I haven't acclimated them or dipped them yet. I'm struggling to type this cause I'm still kinda out of it.

I finally have the final piece to my overflow puzle but I don't trust myself with that pvc primer and cement right about now.

The corals are still in the box in the dark. I will acclimate them as soon as my daughter takes me home (I wasn't allowed to be alone til tonite),

After that I will take some pictures with my camera and upload and post.

Thank's everyone for following, ALL of YOU have been an AWEFULLY HUGE help and inspiration to me also. I coulnd not have done any of this if it wasnt for you.......my fish family. Thank you again....I hope the buttery salty popcorn was good, sorry you had to BYOB,:ROFLMAO:

I just recently saw that too.

I just glued a magnetic to a small piece of egg crate but the magnet is not strong enough and didn't hold.

Grrrr I can't find my camera :-(

QT has high ammonia, (1.0) - 50% water change okay to do or is that too much?

You kind of have to weigh the two evils, yeah it's pretty large....but rising ammonia is pretty bad too. Match temp. ph and salinity and it should be ok. You may want to start a daily routine of pwc's or find another way to control the ammonia and nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom