Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a 25% water change this am, and then did anohter 60% tonite, then I came across a bottle of prime and followed the directions.

Sump is done, return is done (need to drill a hole in the u-tube yet), have some sand in the refugium, need a piece of 1 inch pvc for the skimmer pump....then I'm good to go. WOO HOOT.

If I could only find my cameria. I'll try to take some pictures with my phone before work tomorrow.

Blue Chromis passed

I lost a Blue Chromis last night. He was breathing a little heavy before I went to sleep and 4 hours later gone. I couldn't stay away and I didn't know what to do.

Everyone else in the QT seems fine.

Today's question for the day..... Do I put an anti-syphon hole in the both the return lines and in the overflow u-tube also?

Thanks, that is the final step to seeing if my sump is going to be up an running.

I have top off to do so am hoping to test the anti-syphon holes while I top off.

Definitely put an anti siphon hole in the returns, just below the working water level. Unless its different than any of the overflow tubes I've used...you do not want an anti siphon hole, that would prevent it from starting back up when the pumps started. I have heard of people drilling the apex of the U-tube and attaching some sort of check valve and some airline tubing to make it a little easier to start up. I think a 2 fr piec of airline tubing will do the same, with no chance of me messing up the U-tube.

Bye for now

Alot on my plate and I'm not hungry. I won't be typing anything for awhile. **** hit the fan at work today and i got the short end of the stick thanks to the person who set me up, i've been demoted by 2 positons while they let alcholics get away with being drunk and sleeping on the job.

If the house caved in I wouldn't care, just don't let the fishtank and my dog get hurt. Anyway thank you to everyone who has helped me with this hobby. I wish it would just give me the peace I need.

Take care everyone, enjoy life and your tanks.
Buffy

So thank you to everyone who has

Been there too Buff. Wish I could say something that would make you feel better, but don't know what it would be. It doesn't matter anymore that you work hard and do a good job. Hope things get better for you. It didn't for me.

You know Buffy ,..you're still very young and very tough ,..as you get older you'll prob see more and more of this sort of thing but somehow you'll suck it up and get over it,...life's not fair sometimes but you just gotta be a little tougher than it is....take a deep breath and grab the reins,..let's go Buffy you're better than all of this,..now get your butt back on this forum so we can talk..... Your crabs need you!!!

Thanks guys.

Anywho, other 2 chromis have been missing over a week now. everyone else is alive and kicking except for 2 more corals. I thought chromis were supposed to be tough. maybe they are just showing me the way out of this mess.

I wouldn't put it past the yellow jawfish to have done something, those suckers attack at anything that comes near there hole they dug.

Can't finish the sump yet. Can't get 2 pipes to fit the valve that came with the esopps. looks like the best way would be to throw away a perfectly good valve and buy one that will fit. . then all i need to do is get up the guts to fill it all up and hope i don't fill up my lving room. don't know when that will be though.

Sump done

Sump is finally done and all is connected. Can't keep it running though cause having a hard time matching up the inlet and outlet flows and maintain a skimmer level too. Am wondering if my superglue job didn't do the trick, gonna take out the skimmer and put it in ro water and see if that leaks. Forgot to check that. Also had to break my baffles. The water level was too high and couldn't seem to cut them cause they just snapped.....side note, least the water level isn't as high now lmfao.

Still having struggles at work and am comtemplating calling NLRB but I don't think I could handle all the legal junk. It's just wrong. OH Well. Bohica Bill strikes again.:confused:

It's a little tricky at first. You don't really have to match it. The outlet flow is most important. Just adjust it and wait a little bit to see where the water level settles. However fast the return pump pumps out is how fast the overflow is going to bring it back in (unless you're maxing out your overflow).

It's a little tricky at first. You don't really have to match it. The outlet flow is most important. Just adjust it and wait a little bit to see where the water level settles. However fast the return pump pumps out is how fast the overflow is going to bring it back in (unless you're maxing out your overflow).

The u-tube in my overflow came with 2 black foam filters, I took one out, maybe I'll take the other out and see if that is what is happening. Thanks, maybe I was maxing out the overflow with that foam filter in, I'll let you know.

Buffy, Norma Rae.

You know her huh? LOL, seems like I am another her at times. I got just one question..........................How many friggen tears are there before they finally dry up and go away????????????? Friggen waterfalls never stop it seems. I don't know how to fight back without losing everything I've worked all my life for...ie my house, car, job. I've come so far in my life and I've had to start over a few times, I don't want to do that again.

Maybe I should go watch the movie again and draw some of Sally's strength, she's a very good actress.

Anywhoo, thank you for the support.

Back to aquarium.....my carpenter is coming over cause now with the tank full, I can't get the center brace in and the pull out shelf doesn't work right with the skimmer in the way. I'm thinking he's gonna shorten the shelf for me.

I should post some pictures but I'm just never in the mood lol.

Yeah, foam prefilters are useless in my opinion on the overflows if you're using a filter sock. Just watch the water level on the teeth of the overflow. If it's not going over the top of the teeth you're not maxing it out.

If your not having fun, you going to need to change something. It may mean more automation, Like an ato, auto water changer, autofeeder, whatever you need. Or it may mean you need to step it down, less delicate corals, more softies, stuff like that. There's just no reason to do this stuff if you know your not liking it, doesn't make sense.

If your not having fun, you going to need to change something. It may mean more automation, Like an ato, auto water changer, autofeeder, whatever you need. Or it may mean you need to step it down, less delicate corals, more softies, stuff like that. There's just no reason to do this stuff if you know your not liking it, doesn't make sense.

True, right now I can't auto anything. At least I still enjoy LOOKING at my little mess though. :)

I just have too much going on at work that has beaten me so far down it has affected my whole life but I'm only gonna be down for the moment. I'll kick back just is gonna take some strength which I don't have yet.

Back
Top Bottom