Bugs In The Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I was kinda bored so I looked at my tank and all, and on my hob I opend it and on my ceramic rings where alots of bugs! They werent land bugs they were bugs that live in water, like crustaceans, what could they be????

Oh really?!?! Howd they get in there? I didnt buy any pod kit. Also when I was cleaning out my big filter saw a sponge in there and a few worm tubes???

Hmm, howd they get into the filters from live rock? and why?? Do they live in filter??? What about the sponge, how did that manage to slip though the strainer tip of the filter and go into the canister? LOL

Also, there is a tube like thing, it looks kinda like a feadther dusters tube, with the tan color, but its not that big around, but a long tube. It has kinda like a shield that protects itself, and whenever I feed flakes a snail looking thing comes out and snatches a floating flake, I mean it doesnt go out much, it will just get the flake when its about to hit the tube, its really neat!

Hmm, howd they get into the filters from live rock?

Swam I guess,

and why??

Just got lucky to find a place away from the fish.

Do they live in filter???

Sounds safer than in the tank if they are in the filter and not in the tank, right now I have them all over my tank, I fallow right now and those little buggers are everywhere. :mrgreen:

What about the sponge, how did that manage to slip though the strainer tip of the filter and go into the canister? LOL

Maybe part of a larger sponge that broke or was torn off and got in the water colum and ended up there. and it could have been in your filter the last time you changed them and when you pulled the filter out it was able to go past it.

justmy2cents said:
I have them all over my tank, I fallow right now and those little buggers are everywhere. :mrgreen:
quote]
Me to Gerald, man those things multiply fast with no fish around.
Teen, no worries, this is all stuff that is the sign of good water quality. :)

Oh yea that sponge thingy I was talking about, there is not bigger one in my tank, maybe it was just seeded there? Btw, my sponge looks and feels like a carwash sponge, are washing sponges same thing as aquarium sponges????

the pod reproduce in your tank and then your fish will eat them. you have alot in your filter because the fish can't eat them while they are in there. some of them will work there way into the tank by way of waterflow

got a pic? They might be a type of worm. Hard shell in the shape of a curlie-Q? I had them all over the filter and protein skimmer of my previous tank.

Pods find there way through even protein skimmers and pumps from my experience. They are a good thing!

got a pic? They might be a type of worm. Hard shell in the shape of a curlie-Q? I had them all over the filter and protein skimmer of my previous tank.
I can get a pic here :) It keeps saying reached maximum upload quoota!!!! Grr... I have changed the dimensions to even 100x67 and It wont let me upload it!

Algae is either too many nutrients, too much lighting or phosphates in your water. I'm sure there are other sources. I am having a bad outbreak right now too and my water quality is just fine with no phosphates. Must be nutrients. I've cut way back on feeding but my corals and other inverts need the lights so oh well.

I don't think so. That's about 9 watts per gallon and I have 580 on a 90 gallon. The problem might be how long they stay on or how old the bulbs are. It might help to cut back on the number of hours they are on. Mine are on for ten to twelve hours a day and I should cut back because of the algae but my corals might suffer. I don't see any corals on your list so you might be able to cut back for a while. My lights are also mostly MH.

SaltwaterTeen, if you like you can email me the pic and I'll post it here.

atari @ aquariumadvice.com

Back
Top Bottom