Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everything's going pretty well - GSP's are starting to come out a bit more, for a bit longer. Xenia's still don't look great. Anemone's look good, and I added a curlicue anemone - about 3" across - that's beautiful. I should have enough room to keep it away from my other 2.

My condy is still up on the back of the tank, but he's come down about 6 inches from the top - but he's filling out much better now.

I do have one problem. I'm not sure where it came from, but my blue tang is showing some ich. Not sure if my little UV was enough to keep it under control on the old tank, but I must have transferred some of it to the new tank. I could have brought it in with the 2 trigger, which I inspected realy, really closely, but didn't have a setup for QT.

So. I ordered a diatom filter (big one), and am going to get a bigger UV. I hope to not need thed UV, but I can tell by the brown dust showing up on my glass each day that it's not working like it did on my old tank.

I also ordered 2 koralia powerheads - bigger ones, so move more water around - I don't think I've got enough current moving across the tank for the corals. These are supposed to move like 600 or 650GPH, so one at each end should really help. I hope to be able to nestle them in the rockwork so they're not an eyesore.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also ordered a Gamma 40W UV, and a new float valve since I stripped the threads on my current one when I put it on the sump. Between the 40W UV and the Diatom filter, I should be able to clear up any parasites or other troublesome biologicals pretty quickly. Will have everything here by wednesday. Once I confirm the flow rates to kill parasites I'll choose the pump - I've got a Mag 7, Mag 9.5, and a couple others to pick from. the 40W UV should allow a pretty high flow rate for parasite-extermination, so I'm hoping to put a Mag 7 on it, and clear things up pretty fast. I'll use the diatom filter once a week or so once everything is cleaned up.

Curlicue anemone looks great, and the condy keeps filling out even more. I feed all the anemone's yesterday some mysis and brine shrimp, they seemed very happy to be direct-fed.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 07-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #123
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Hope you get the ich under control soon Scoot. Glad to hear everything else is doing so good.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm confident - I've dealt with it in the past. Strong UV does wonders, if it has enough flow through it.

The tang actually hasn't shown any signs since I first saw it. A few spots, then nothing (typical). I beefed up the flow through the small UV I have now (within range to kill parasites though), that could be helping.

Condy looks great! It keeps getting bigger since I put the 250's in.

The curlicue also seems pretty happy. I need to get some pics - the "street of dreams" ends tonight, so I'll be able to spend more time out there. It's hard to do much with 200+ people roaming around your house.

I have noticed a pH drop from a steady 8.2 to a 7.8 to 8.0 (hard to tell). Need to do a big PWC once this show is over.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 08-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

DId your fish pull through this?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #126
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes. All are doing well, and the GSP's are starting to come back.

Ich has been pretty much wiped out (I'll run the UV for another 2 months to make sure).

Pretty much now just dealing with micro-bubble problems, which is 99% from the overflows. I need to drain into a separate container, with more room, then into the sump.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

I have been dealing with the same problem. The big skimmer is not making it easy.

All of my drain fall into a 18 gal rubbermaid and my skimmer is in this same rubbermaid. I have holes in the rubbermaid where the water exits but I think I will replace it with one with no holes and let the water pour over the top. Not sure if this will work or not.

Glad your fish are doing well.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Most of the microbubbles are coming from the drains - not the skimmer. If the sump socks are VERY clean, the bubbles are minimal. But as they start to get dirty, they really start putting out the fine bubbles. I tried running without them, but the water pouring into the sump generates a ton of bubbles too. This can't be an uncommon problem...

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 08-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi Scoot, I am not sure that this is going to help you any but I had issues with micro bubbles as well, I know this may sound counterproductive considering you are already using filter socks. However, have you tried taking off the socks and creating some kind of barrier with reguler filter floss? I had issues with microbubbles in regards to the placement of the skimmer (I have a 30 gal fuge with my aqua-C inside) What I did was stuff filter floss between the skimmer and the wall of the fuge and partially on the corner where the water trickles into for the return to pump back into the tank. I know my explanation may be a bit off, but basically if you create a barrier with regular old blue and white filter floss somehow without obstructing the flow you will reduce those bubbles considerabaly. Wow, I can't explain this without drawing it. But my fuge has three sections. One where the water comes in, then the actual fuge and then where the water leaves the tank. If yours is set up this way, I would fill part of the first section with rock rubble and add filter floss to the top on the rocks. Thick enough to make a difference but not so thick that you run the risk of overflowing the tank. I still get good flow in my fuge. I just change out my filter floss once a month and end of story, no more bubbles (from the skimmer or from incoming water).

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, in march I will be taking on a similar project in our new house. They start building our house this month. We have a 150g now and we will be going with a 180 in the new place. I wanted a 240 long but there is just no room. We are going to do an inwall. From reading this thread I hope I am not going to regret the tank being in my office. We are going to be using halides as well. 3 250w 14k, no atinics. We have the same skimmer and I'll be using that too. I have *I think* a 9w UV sterilzer turbo twist, whichever one it is, it is the lowest wattage they sell. It was my husbands. What TT do you run. I noticed that you adjusted the flowrate to maximize it capabilities. Is it still working for you? Do you trust it? I ask becuase I want to know how useful mine would be in a 180? I have a ton of rock, sand and corals so water volume would be on the lower end.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
180 gallon, build, build thread, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com