Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 AM   #131
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got a Gamma UV 40W (had a chinese-made jebo 36W that probably actually put out about 5W). I doubt your 9W TT would do much good in a 180. I think I read somewhere that 40W is appropriate for a 180G (which is why I went with a 40!)

The Gamma 40W is big - like over 3 feet long. And it has huge connects - something like 1 1/2". But it's working - ich has been pretty much wiped out (a single spot will show up once in awhile but not for long). The flow rate to kill parasites with it is around 900GPH - I'm only pushing around 700GPH with a Mag 7 (probably 600 with head loss), so it's much slower than it could be if I put a mag 9.5 on it - but I stole my 9.5 to overdrive my EV-180 which has worked out great. And it should definatley kill anything that goes through it.

The Gamma UV definately adds some heat though. Have had to deal with that by moving my 2 ballasts out of the canopy and up on top, but its high enough (8' or so) you can barely see them.

I thought about using filter floss. I fixed most of the microbubble problem by only running a single return pump - cutting water flow in half, which I'm trying to make up for with powerheads (Koralia's) in the tank.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a closed loop at the tank, but the built-in cabinet is up against a wall, so I'd have to cut into the wall to do it.

Livestock update - my bubbletip, which I almost lost a year ago and virtually had no tentacles at one point, LOVES the new tank. It's in the top center, in the back of the tank, and has at least tripled in size. it's tips are getting bigger and rounder, it's getting greener, and it's eating better than ever (frozen squid and such). My curlicue and condy are also both doing really well.

'nother update, I think I lost my blue devil damsel. No idea what happened to him, he never showed signs of stress of illness - he just dissappeared one day. Checked the overflows of course, and couldn't find him.

My clown trigger is growing, and my niger trigger is too. Blue tang is also growing fast now, and is probably about 7" long now (was 2" when I got him).

GSP's never really did recover - they come out a little ways, but never reach the flowing, grassy-field look they used to.

Shrooms look awesome - one reaches almost 5" across during the day.

Xenia's aren't so great, my curcliecue got too close to them, and wiped out a small patch.

Zoo's look good, but I'd like to see them start growing.

Nitrates are still stable from 0 - 10PPM. Hard to tell at the lower ranges with the AP test kit. W00t!

Sump socks still dirty and overflow within a day. I'm sick (sock?) of messing with them. Looking for bigger ones, I found 16" and 22" socks online somewhere. That might make a big difference.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #132
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update - the UV wiped out the ich. Haven't seen a sign of it since the first week I added it.

I'm going to let it run for another month, then shut it off. It's adding quite a bit of heat to the water which I've had to deal with using cooling fans.

Everything's going perfectly. GSP's still aren't back to full bloom, and actually seem to be getting worse again, but the fish, anemone's and shrooms are all doing great.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
180 gallon, build, build thread, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com