Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everything came in yesterday. I didn't have time to pick up the rubbermaid tub for temporary sump (the custom one will be here next week), so I went ahead and setup the AquaC 180 on mycurrent tank. Setup was pretty easy, I'm not 100% sure I have it set just right for break-in, but it's definately generating a lot of microbubbles. Break-in is supposed to be 24-48 hours, so we'll see if it starts generating foam tonight.

Fine-adjustments are much easier to make than on my CSS 125.

I hope to get out to the house today to get the pumps and temporary sump setup, but they're putting tile in the kitchen/dining room right now, so I might not be able to get to the tank until tomorrow.

(Next day) I have all the plumbing I need now, except for one 17' section of drain pipe. The rubbermaid tub I bought is a little too brittle to drill I think, so I might get another one.

I couldn't get out to the house yet to install anything - they're tiling the kitchen/dining room floor today, so maybe tonight.

The skimmer hasn't started producing yet, but there are tons of bubbles.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of rubbermaid are you using? Stock tanks are wonderful if you have the room for them and they are cheap for the size.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's not the usual one - it's clearish, light blue. Not huge, but big enough - around 30G I think (the label was in liters). It's shallower than the big ones, but wider and flat.

It's just temporary until my custom glass-cages sump comes in next week. I can't wait another week to get water moving.

Today I cut out the bulkheads (with a dremel tool - easy job), and picked up the rest of the PVC parts to connect the 1" bulkheads to the pumps. I installed the bulkheads, the 1" PVC from that to the adapter down to 3/4" FPT to the pumps, and everything is ready to go. I need to dissassemble a big industrial stand I have, where everything will sit on at the new house, and get it moved out there.

Should take about 15 minutes to run the tubing, hook up the pumps to the bulkheads, and fill up the sump (pre-treated, mixed water). I'm using high-end checkvalves from MarineDepot on both return lines, and shut-off valves on the drains. The hard work now is moving the stand I'm going to use.

I'm anxious to see how much water the 2 PCX-40's can move.

Oh, and my EV-180 kicked in (it's on my old tank) - almost precisely 2 days after it was setup (they say 48 to 72 hours). None of the foam has reached the collection cup, but wow, there is a lot of dry, stable foam building up. It's going to put my CSS 125 to shame I might just leave it on my old tank until everything is moved. No need to protein skim a cycling tank yet - more critical to get a little mechanical filtration to remove some of the silt from the sand and rock.

Update tonight - I've got it all running. The sump, stand, tubing, all went in without any problem. The only issue I did have is that the 1 1/4" ID reinforced flex tubing is curled up at the bottom - I need to figure out how to straighten it. For now, I stuck in a piece of 1" PVC on both lines, to hold it down in the sump. I'm sure this is slowing up the drain a bit, but the pumps seems to be a good match for the amount of overflow I'm getting now.

The pumps are a bit noiser than I hoped - but you can't hear them in the next room.

I'm probably going to want more flow than this is providing in the tank - so I'm going to look at a couple Tunze's or that cheaper brand that looks like TUnze's.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everything is still running smooth this morning. Not too much evaporation, but I added another 5G of treated water. I need to get 3 or 4 5G buckets filled up and treated for a PWC.

Somehow the salinity is high - 1.028 - I used a 160G mix bucket on 180G (when nothing else was in the tank but water), so I'm not sure why it's so high. I assumed that I'd be low.

I did some water tests - 'trites are on the 3rd step on the AP test (can't remember the numerical value), and Ammonia is at 4.0. Not sure if ammonia is climbing or dropping since it's my first test. I'll check in a few days and see where its at.

I added about 20 pounds of well-matured LR from my current tank, going to take some more sand out later. That should help cycling get moving.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot
Somehow the salinity is high - 1.028 - I used a 160G mix bucket on 180G
If you have sand in the tank, that will displace more water, possibly making the salinity higher since you probably have less than 180G of water in the tank as well with the tank not being filled completely to the top....just an idea....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didnt' have sand when I added water and mixed the salt. I have since added rocks and sand, which overflowed some of the water out, but the water was mixed before anything else was added. That why I'm confused.

Oh - and I've used to different swing-arm testers - similar results.

Is a SG this high going to screw up cycling? I would think it's going to keep O2 levels low. I'm just wondering if I need to get on this right away, or gradually work it down to 1.025 over the next few weeks.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #57
AA Team Emeritus

Ahhh, gotcha! A few notes, try to get a refractometer, they are way easier to read and more accurate. My hydro read 1.022 the refracto read 1.027. I also noticed that when I measured the water's salinity while I was mixing it (the water was cold out of the tap) it gave me wacky readings. I wouldn't be surprised if your readings might be a little low. Salinity is not going to hurt your cycle (it may cause some stress to your critters on your LR). You could wait out the cycle or do a PWC to reduce the SG.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just ordered a refractometer, along with 2 new sump socks and brackets.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #59
AA Team Emeritus

Sweet! Let me know how different the readings are.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 06-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I added my old CSS 125 to the system today - it's broken in, and I'm familiar enough with it to trust it overnight. There must be a LOT of crud in the water, even at the lowest setting it was pumping a constant stream of fat bubbles over into the collection cup. I mostly want to clear the water up a bit. With such poor circulation for the first 2 weeks, and 6 jumbo shrimp rotting away, the water's pretty murky. I won't skim it to the point of removing too much decaying matter to interrupt the cycle, just enough to clean things up a bit.

Plus, the skimmer should help aerate the water - I'm sure the pH is pretty low right now.

The new skimmer, an AquaC EV-180, has started producing. I set it up Tuesday afternoon. I got up this morning to find foam all the up to the collection cup. I've been tweaking the output gate a bit, but I want dry foam, so it's almost wide open. The Mag-7 seems to be a good match, but I'm going to try the Mag 9 when I relocate everything to the new tank. The mag 9 is the main return pump on my current tank, so I can't really do without it.

I also added another nice piece of rock, and about a quart of sand from my current tank. I've got about 20 or 30 pounds of LR from my current tank, plus about 3 quarts of sand. I'd think that would really help kick-start the cycle.

There is a single nassarius (sp?) snail in the new tank - still alive, and crawling all around. Not sure how he's alive through this part of the cycle, but he's hanging in there. Hopefull I'm on the downware slope of the ammonia spike - I'll know tomorrow when I check again.

Also - the bag of base rock I added to my current tank has started to brown already.

On a side note, my current tank, which I just moved everything into about 3 months ago, has an incredible amount of corraline growth, for such a new tank. Using well-matured LR and sand must really make a difference, so I hope it helps with the new tank.

Tomorrow I'm going to start to arrange the rock a bit. I have easier access to the tank now that the tile guys are done with the dining room.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3

Tags
180 gallon, build, build thread, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com