building a 55 gal. reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bax71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi every one . Me & my son are starting a 55gal. reef tank . I've have got some of the thing I would need . Looking for some advice on other thing I my need to get . Here is what I've got so far
55 gal glass tank
29 gal. tank for the refueg
mag 9.5 for main pump
2 AquaMaxx 7 " filter socks
AquaMaxx fluidized GFO & carbon filter Media Reactor
Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 568 GPH for Reactor & Protine Skimmer .
Sea Storm 300 Protine Skimmer
Light for the refueg.
Have any advice for let me know. I was thinking of adding a 20 Gal. fish tank to the same refueg.

what light are you going to run on the main display? what is going in your fuge and where?

Is the 55 reef ready? If not, I would suggest drilling a single hole in the back pane for a drain. It's very easy. You can go to glass holes.com and buy a complete overflow kit if you like that even comes with the diamond bit.

I don't know about the main yet . Looking all op . But on the fuge I got a 8" grow light off a buddy's fuge when he upgrade his fuge

Hey... A mag 9.5 is too much return pump for a 55g IMO... You could get away will a smaller. Like a mag 7 or 5. Unless your return is going to be most or all of ur water movement in the tank then go for it. :) just thought I would try and save u like $30 or so.

+1 on the ball valve... Will help u find that perfect flow rate. Mag 9.5 has to be sometimes dialed back on a 125. So imagine a 55 lol

Thanks for the info on the pumps but I already have the mag 9 & may add a 20L over the top of the 30T fuge and have it run both what do think on this

No have only one spot to run a reef only & fish only tank & all 3 tanks work in the area I need . I know it will take a lot of work for it . But in the end it should look different

If u run both off the mag 9.5 u should be ok but make sure u have ball or gate valves on each. Like said before its more complicated but should be fine

I was wondering if you could lay a AquaMaxx fluidized GFO & carbon filter Media Reactor on it side. If it still would work fine

Laying a media reactor on it's side will impede it's performance. Water will go through the easiest route, so the gap at the top of the media will be where most of the water will go and miss the GFO and carbon completely. I wouldn't recommend this.

Thank for the information . I was not to sure . I will post some photo soon of my 55 gal reef build

Here is some of photo's of my 55 gal tank & 29 gal fuge . What are Opinions of it so far . Hope to here from y'all

Attachments

• image-452244103.jpg
    image-452244103.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 129
  • image-2532793690.jpg
    image-2532793690.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 131
  • image-1540173160.jpg
    image-1540173160.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 136
Looks good. Is that a skimmer behind the filter sock? If so, you may need to build a little stand for it so it's in the correct water depth. Usually that's about 8-10 inches or so.

Back
Top Bottom