Building a Sump / Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank with a Fluval FX5 and an emperor 400 with chaeto in it. I have been debating on ordering a premade sump but dont really want to shell out the cash. Is there anything wrong with just going out and purchasing a 29 gallon tank and just using it basically as a refugium. Are the baffles really necessary. Im using a Seaclone skimmer currently and although it isnt the best it does skim for me so I dont really need to upgrade it right now, and its really not that much of an eyesore so i dont mind leaving it hanging on the tank. The only thing that I really would like to move to the sump/ refugiums would be my 2 heaters. Does this make sense to you guys ? Just a 29 gallon tank with a return pump and heaters in it , I would move my chaeto to it , with a deep sand bed and some rubble rock. If it is a good idea, how do I go about determining what kind or return pump I need, and how do I know how high my water level can be to keep the sump from flooding. Thanks guys

Is there anything wrong with just going out and purchasing a 29 gallon tank and just using it basically as a refugium. Are the baffles really necessary.
Nope, nothing wrong with it. I would recommend some baffles depending on how you plan on getting the water out (pump, then you should have one to stop the sand from getting into the pump), if it's passive (water flows in, and gravity takes it out from a high spot) then nope, no need for baffles.

The only thing that I really would like to move to the sump/ refugiums would be my 2 heaters. Does this make sense to you guys ? Just a 29 gallon tank with a return pump and heaters in it , I would move my chaeto to it , with a deep sand bed and some rubble rock. If it is a good idea, how do I go about determining what kind or return pump I need, and how do I know how high my water level can be to keep the sump from flooding.
I don't see a problem other then servicing. if you turn off the return pump, you have effectively removed the heaters from the tank. that being said, mine is the same.

Best way to find the "oh no, my floor is wet" point is to fill the display, let it overflow with the pump off. when it gets to the upper limit of where you are comfortable with it, then stop adding water, turn the pump on and where the waterline drops to is your "upper limit". Alternately you can add the water directly to a fuge.Then fill it up with the pump off.. really up to you.

Reading this through, it appears you are going with a pump in the fuge, you might want to consider a single baffle to keep the sand out of the pump.. Other baffles will allow you to control what point the water level drops in..

Hope this helps, others might have something to add..

you should get a better skimmer you will be much happier. that skimmer does not work to well. try a remora that will be better fore you with a mag drive on that.

If you are going to have a single tank as your sump/fuge then you will need baffles, or you can get a little more creative and do something like I did here.

This is my fuge a dedicated 20tall. I drilled the left side and put a bulkhead in. Water drains from my overflow over to the right side of the tank and then flows through the macro and lr over to the left side of the tank and then out into my (well then) 10g sump. My return pumps were in there and pumped the water back up to the tank starting the process all over again. I have recently upgraded my setup a little and increased my water volume so I have a 30g tote that holds my return pumps and skimmer.
1010587mediumie7.jpg

Im so confused on this whole idea of sump building. Does the sump have to be drilled, why cant the overflows just drain into it ? Where can I access good information on how to do the plumbing ?

The whole idea of a sump is to increase water volume and remove equipment (probes, heaters and things like that) from your display tank. When adding a fuge to a sump setup you will have to have at least one baffle as has been stated to keep the sand and macro from getting sucked up by the pump.

The pic I posted shows my Fuge only. My sump is a different container that the fuge drains into. I did this to maximize the volume of my fuge. Before I set the fuge up the way it is now that same 20g Tall had a baffle in it that seperated the fuge from the return zone (the area where the return pump goes).

Check out the site that Wizard suggested Marc has a lot of information on his site about sumps.

Back
Top Bottom