Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-25-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Well I guess We'll all have to share some info.
Should be a good learning experience for us!

Hey Kat, how high is your canopy----> light above water?

arminkropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Bottom of bulbs are 8" off the water. They should be 8 to 12 " with 8 being a bare minimum. That helps keep the bubble splash off your bulbs. I think the amount of inches is dependent on what type of bulb you use. Apparently some bulbs have some kind of built in uv protection or reflectors. Not sure, but I read that on here somewhere.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
kat where in texas are you????
Phyll if you are using red oak go to a Sherwin Williams. They can match the stain to the wood you have used for the canopy to the base for you. (trial and error with computer scanners) I have done this on many of my wood project using red oak. They can also do it with pine and birch. Oak being cheap is what I normally use and they do a great job color matching the stains.
Message to all aquariasts!!!!!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sherwin Williams! I knew there was a place that would do that but I had *no* idea where (I read a thread about someone doing just that but they didn't say where). I asked at HD and they looked at me like I had 6 heads. They told me to use trial and error! Nice. I'll have to grab a door on my way out to work tomorrow. Thank you SOOOO much! Kudos!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

build, building, canopy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com