Building protein skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ya know, i've looked at many protein skimmers and have come to the conclusion that people are making this stuff cheaply and making a hell of alotta money off us aquarium hobbyists.

I spent about $140 on a skimmer that i later learned was built by the LFS owner...

well, i believe its time to shop a little bit more wisely.

I ask for your help about where i may acquire the acrylic/plexiglass cylinders and tubes in order to create the dam skimmers my self. I have some experience creating things like this, so i dont think it should be very hard!

Any help would be Greatly appreciated! TIA!

And if i am successful, all AA.com members will benefit!

I just posted a DIY skimmer in the DIY section but it looks something like this. It is day 3 of operation and I woke up this morning to more foam than I've ever seen. Whoo hoo. The only problem is the acrylic tube, I salvaged one from a water filter, but I've heard the clear acrylic tubing is expensive, could just use pvc if you don't want to see inside that bad, it's not any different as long as it skims.

Attachments

• img_2687b_892.jpg
    img_2687b_892.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 103
Also, you can get any of the parts at Home Depot or any home improvement place. You may want to price the clear acrylic tubing vs. buying a water filter and salvaging the housing. I bought one of those water filters with a clear housing for $12 at Home Depot so it's probably cheaper than buying the clear pipe. And your right, the mark up on this stuff is ridiculous, I think in general us salties get screwed because there are so many novices who are convinced that this gadget or that is going to solve all their problems, and they pay. I also built an overflow that is getting 500gph for about $35 dollars, and the LFS wants $85, and he builds them himself as well. The big question is what is your time worth, right?

I have the stuff to make this one in the garage,
http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/DIYskimmer.php
I hope i'll have the time to build it preatty soon.
I got the scrap plexi glass for $10 and the plexi tube was laying around at work :lol:

So I might get a Acua C, ETTS Reef Devil type skimmer for $40 after buing all the parts.

Pardon the pun, but 'it ain't rocket science' ; ) Heavily areated water forced into a tube where (of course) the bubbles float to the surface carrying whatever debris happens to hitch along for the ride. Anyone with kids has seen it...The kid fires up the bath, dumps in the bubble mix and jumps in..few minutes later everything you thought you had cleaned out of the tub after the last bath ends up floating on top of these massive bubbles (Hair, dirt, etc)...Same idea..The only 2 real areas of artistic license are the water return and the collection system. I would suggest any design would need a good once over on the water return. Most people complain alot about the micro bubbles that can arise out of some of the bubbles making it into the return side. In extreme cases, I suppose it could cause trouble but mostly I suspect only asthetic damage ; 0 Collection cup design, now theres a bit of a trick..Another area to examine before choosing a design. You want something flexible (As you probably know having the lfs brand skimmer) Whatever you choose, please post some pics..always interested in others DIY poroject products..Oh ya, and your right, lfs will rip you in a minute..least ours do..

GL!

Back
Top Bottom