building trinkle filter need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the difference betwwen a trickle filter and a wet/dry? I have a 50gal tank. I would like to keep fish, live rock, and maybe if I get daring get a coral. I It has been set up for about a week nd a half with a Cascade 1000 canister filter. I was going to build a wet dry but bought the Cascade instead....now I want to build the trickle. I have plans in mind. 10 or 15 gal tank as the sump. 1: what should I use for bio media. I heard bio balls are now BAD!! 2: pump?? I have seen good prices for RIO 2100 and 2500. These have 315gph @ 5 feet and 439 gph @ 5feet respecivly. Is this a good choice? advice???

bioballs aren't "bad" really, but they do generate nitrates. better to use LR rubble and keep it under water (not trickle)

There is no real differece between the two. A trickle filter will do just that. trickle water over some filter media. A wet/dry does this also with the use of a trickle plate to drip water over the wet/dry media.

The canister filter will be just as 'bad' as bioballs if not worse as they will both produce nitrates. If the canister is cleaned on a very regular basis the amount of nitrates added to the system can be kept to a minimum. If you have a deep sand bed you can often counter act the nitrates from a wet/dry. In addtion as suggested you can not use bioball media and instead submerge liverock in the sump to increase the bactera surface area.

Honestly I would run away from RIOs. Look instead at Magdrive pumps. For a 50 gal tank I would suggest a Mag7 or Mag9.5 Of course match the pump with the flow rate your overflow will process.

Back
Top Bottom