Built my 240w for under $40 in 1 hr!!!Pics(for 55gl)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidkameleon3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I went against the pc mainly because I cant afford it.I got dank marine life to buy.And seeing the only advantage is space, I thought I'd solve that.

Supplies: 3x NO Dual 48" lights = $35 after tax.

1x Box of metal self tapping screws =$5

Wood = Free ;laying around the garage

Time: 30minutes tring to come up with idea

30 Minutes doing

This is the only pic I have so far I'll post on tank after I build the canopy/ get something in my tank.And I get the other 2 bulbs

Measures 49" L x 10" H x 12 3/4" deep (size of 55)

ps: please leave in general

No, 3 seperate.Had to be to make it fit the top of the tank.

Edit:Bought the lights at sears hardware.Better yet made in america :D

my point is PC vs NO is the same only one can hold more watts per inch of tube.The lumens are hte same etc..... So if you can make it fit your good.And at a 1/8 of the ;price why not.Glad to here this inspired someone else to not get raped by the light man.Good times

note:just ordered my other bulbs.Going to go with 3x03 1x Thricoma 2x10k

w/ a 03 for a spare

I'm glad it's working out for ya, but I'll stick with the VHO. Even tho it cost more money, there is no way you can get the same intensity, considering NO are only 40 watts a tube max.

lol, that is wrong,(I think)You show me facts and I'll beleive.

I know for a fact PC and No have the same lumens per wat (or extremely close).vho I am unsure but I assume the same.

The only true way to get more lumens per watt is to get a MH or something, they do put out far more lumens per watt of light.All vho does is cram more watts into each tube.

The only reason vho and pc are better is space. See if you have 240w of vho and I have 240w of NO it is the same thing. I have more tubes but they cost alot less also.

On your note though.If you wanted to upgrade and add another 240w of VHO it would fit on your tank with your other.For me I am stuck at 240w I have no more rooms:(

(please coerrect me if I am wrong)really :roll:

again note: did alittle math I payed .16c a watt to build it.

assumming you can get a 240w vho for around $150 = .62

for the same type of light

i was refering to wattage only. i could pay nothing as i have what you have just sitting around. my 4 vho will put out 384 watts as to you six putting out 240 watts.

I would also think tht that thing would rust out like the dickens.

don't get me wrong. I'm not syaing not to do it, I also said that I was glad it worked out for ya. I'ts just not the direction I wish to move in, plus I am limited to the 36" tank length I have.

0X

reefraff, I glad we can talk instead of argue sometimes I feel I come as being a ****.SO sorry if so.

Bulb to bulb comparison the vho are brighter, but watt for watt they are not.Same thing with pc lighting.

example: 1 48" 40w NO doesn;t not compare to a 48" 110w VHo

but 3x 48" 40w does equal 1 48" 110w vho they are both the same type of lighting.Just diff packages 120w of NO =120w of vho it just takes up alot more space.I think everyone just likes pc cause they look better and have been fooled into thinking they are "brighter".

Side note: Must be nice to have a extra laying around.Lucky fool

MH on the other hand is a totally diff story 1w of MH is far brighter than 1w of vho,pc,pc

I think everyone just likes pc cause they look better and have been fooled into thinking they are "brighter".

I must be a fool then, because when I switched from NO to PC it was at least twice as bright watt for watt.. The intensity is also greater.. The proof is in the livestock. The performance of PC out weighs NO by a long shot... My wife even noticed a big difference and she doesn't know NO from an ant. So, believe what you want, I will stick with PC. I have a couple 48" 03's if you want them...Very dim compared to PC..

I sure would like them:) Maybe we can work something out.I'll drop you a pm

But on the pc/no note I have stated facts so my part is done.I figure if anyone cares enought o prove me wrong they will come up with facts instead of the fact that they see a diff ,all to common to see what you want to see ya know(not yuou I mean everyone,shallow hal,lol)

I might do somemore reading as well, just to saticfy myself on it.

Back
Top Bottom