Built Your Own Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size tank and how many compact fluorescents? Post that info and some more detail in the DIY forum and I'm sure you'll find lots of help.

Yes, you can build any type lighting system you want. Tell us what you are interested in doing and someone can probaby help you put it together. Please use the search option on this site though as much of this info is already here. Sometimes you can save a lot of money as well as get something better suited to your needs by DIY'ing.

You can pick up retro kits, get parts separately to make the kit (ballast, socket, wiring, lamp etc) The only other option is to purchase transformers, capacitors and the other electronics needed to make your own ballast (not recommended except for professionals) Look at hellolights.com for some ideas on retrokits etc.

Awesome thanks! I would like to save some money and upgrade my lighting to something that will support most all corals hard and soft, as well as anemone's.

Halides were suggested. So I guess I could check into doing it myself.

The halides at Lowe's, are they the same type of lights, and are the watts the same?

There is a website that tells you how to build a single halide set up for $100.00. You would need 2 though and probably some sort of actnic lighting. I am researching the same thing for my 75 gal.

Check ebay. There is a 2x250 with 2x55(or 2x110) VHO retro kit that you can get for about $430 shipped including bulbs. Couple of sponsors have the coralvue setup with a 2x250 and T5 actnics for $510-520. The coralvue has electronic ballasts too.

Unless you really want to build it, these are the best I have found. These will require you to build a canopy too.

HTH

FOR ME.... MH is out of the question... My apartment cant handle the power they would need, plus my electric bill would skyrocket. I am going with the CURRENT USA ORBIT. Got a pretty good deal on it. It is 4x96... plenty for my 65 gal and according to my LFS, perfect for all corals (soft and hard) and anemones.

revhtree said:
The halides at Lowe's, are they the same type of lights, and are the watts the same?

Although the wattage may be the same, and I don't know because I've never looked at them, the bulbs will not work for a reef tank. They will be, at the very best, 5000k...probably more like 3500k. I would stick with fixtures that are designed for aquarium usage. I expect, if the wattage is 175 or 250, that you could use the ballasts from the Lowes lights, but I'm going to guess it would end up costing you more to do that. One thing I wouldn't skimp on is the reflectors. Get some good parabolic reflectors for your MH system...it'll make a big difference.

My apartment cant handle the power they would need, plus my electric bill would skyrocket.

Alright, has anyone documented the increase of their electric bill from a 2x250 MH fixture? What about evaporation? Can one expect more evap with MH?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom