Bulb anemone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rushopkins

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a bulb anemone 5 days ago and it is hiding most of the time under or between rocks. Is this normal or is there something I need to do different? I placed the ame in a medium flow area and it immediately moved and disappeared. Could the lighting be to strong? I have also tried twice to feed it chopped fresh shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp but it doesn't seem interested. It doesn't close up around it and it either floats away or my cleaner shrimp comes over and steals it. Any ideas? The tank is well established for a year with no fluctuating parameters and I have an aquatic life 4 bulb T5 fixture. One 10k white, two actinic, one purple and blue LEDs for night lighting.

How old is the tank? What's lighting are you using? And what are your params?

How old is the tank? What's lighting are you using? And what are your params?

One Year old.

I have an aquatic life 4 bulb T5 fixture. One 10k white, two actinic, one purple and blue LEDs for night lighting.

PH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Phos: .1

Your nitrate and phosphate are a little high for a nem, they can hide for a while when they are first added and will move until they find a place they are happy. I would get the nitrate down to the 2-3 ppm range and phosphate down to ~.03ppm and see how it does

Your nitrate and phosphate are a little high for a nem, they can hide for a while when they are first added and will move until they find a place they are happy. I would get the nitrate down to the 2-3 ppm range and phosphate down to ~.03ppm and see how it does

Thanks!

Do you think the nitrate or phosphate is affecting its appetite or just being new to the tank is causing it to not eat?

Could be both but I would lean towards it being new to the tank. They will get most of the food they need from their algae and the light so feeding them will just put excess nutrients in your system. I only feed my BTAs once or twice a month

I'm not sure you have enough lighting for the nem, but just give it a few days to settle into the tank. 4 T-5 bulbs might be enough if there is a rock that is relatively high in the tank for the nem to perch on. Also, my experience is that nems don't like that much flow. I feed my nem mysis once or twice a week, and rod's food about every other week.

I'm not sure you have enough lighting for the nem, but just give it a few days to settle into the tank. 4 T-5 bulbs might be enough if there is a rock that is relatively high in the tank for the nem to perch on. Also, my experience is that nems don't like that much flow. I feed my nem mysis once or twice a week, and rod's food about every other week.

When the White 10K bulb comes on the nem completely closes up and moves under a rock. It could be not enough light but I had to turn off the timer for the 10k white just to get the nem to open up and come out. I'm going to try and introduce the white slowly for short periods of time and see what happens.

How big is the tank? I tried to keep a nem under a 4 x t5 ho fixture and it wasn't enough over my 55g. I would say with only one 10,000k white this is not enough light. I also wouldn't feed it, I don't feed my nems at all...

How big is the tank? I tried to keep a nem under a 4 x t5 ho fixture and it wasn't enough over my 55g. I would say with only one 10,000k white this is not enough light. I also wouldn't feed it, I don't feed my nems at all...

I came home from work today and my maroon clown wad hosted in the nem. It's full open now and looks better. I haven't been running the white bulb because when it would turn on the nem would fully hide. I have been only running the two actinics and blue LEDs at night but I'm going to slowly introduce the white starting with an hour a day.

I came home from work today and my maroon clown wad hosted in the nem. It's full open now and looks better. I haven't been running the white bulb because when it would turn on the nem would fully hide. I have been only running the two actinics and blue LEDs at night but I'm going to slowly introduce the white starting with an hour a day.

The clown fed it some mysis today so that was cool.

Back
Top Bottom