Bulkhead seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my tank drilled on the bottom and have bulkhead fittings that have rubber gaskets for their seal. Do I need to put silicone or anything or is the rubber sufficient enough?

Thank you

That will be up to you. My friend at the lfs told me to use silicone but mine is a overflow box so I choose not to just in case I had to do repairs.the box might get damage trying to remove the bulkhead.Yours should be fine cus it's glass easier to work with. I would just because it's on the bottom then I would run a bead of silicone. around the edge of the gasket after its tighten

Daniel Fishy said:
That will be up to you. My friend at the lfs told me to use silicone but mine is a overflow box so I choose not to just in case I had to do repairs.the box might get damage trying to remove the bulkhead.Yours should be fine cus it's glass easier to work with. I would just because it's on the bottom then I would run a bead of silicone. around the edge of the gasket after its tighten

Ya that's what I was considering. So you think I should put silicone around after tightening? I was thinking on it then tighten but idk if that would cause any issues??

Thanks for the quick reply by the way

crister13 said:
I don't use anything but the rubber. No leaks.

Did you screw on your bulkhead nut to the glass or the underside of your stand? (I know not the best description)

crister13 said:
What?? There's no was to do it on a stand.

Very crude sketch that might help me explain what I'm saying since I'm in class right now

Attachments

• image-2032609652.jpg
    image-2032609652.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 83
Yes you can use silicone on gasket then tighten it.The nut should be on the bottom of the tank seated tightly against the glass. my friend said to put silicone on gasket to seal it but like I said I wouldn't be able to remove it like i stated. either way will work one way is a little more permanent. One it's seat you could run a bead around bulk head.

That's what I thought you were talking about..... If it were me I wouldn't even dream of putting the but ender a stand. You need to tighten the rubber up alot IMO and the net needs to hit the glass too.

Daniel Fishy said:
Yes you can use silicone on gasket then tighten it.The nut should be on the bottom of the tank seated tightly against the glass. my friend said to put silicone on gasket to seal it but like I said I wouldn't be able to remove it like i stated. either way will work one way is a little more permanent. One it's seat you could run a bead around bulk head.

Ill probably do a small amount of silicone to be safe. thanks!

crister13 said:
That's what I thought you were talking about..... If it were me I wouldn't even dream of putting the but ender a stand. You need to tighten the rubber up alot IMO and the net needs to hit the glass too.

That's what I was thinking its gonna be harder initially since ill have to tighten etc then fit the tubes through the stand seeing as I drilled 3 individual holes for the drain and 2 returns. All on a really heavy tank. Hope nothing breaks! Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom