Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Butterfly fish?

Hi, I've been a long time lurker here but this is my first time posting. I was thinking of adding a butterfly to my Fish Only 75G aquarium and was thinking of the longfin Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish. Does anyone have experience with this fish? Any compatibility issues that I might face with my yellow tang?

Off-topic, I wanted to mention that adding a refugium to my setup has been the best investment I've ever made in this hobby. My water quality is incredible. I'm assuming this is something fairly new as I had not seen any mention of these even just a few years ago?

Thanks!
- Jeff

Old 04-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Jeff. Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Henis are great fish but they really do better in groups of two or more. These fish get rather large and a 75 gal may be a bit tight for them. Have you considered another species of butterfly?

Old 04-09-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Thanks for the welcome Lando!

Do you have any suggestions-for example, what is your personal favorite? What would you personally consider adding to a 75G?

Or perhaps I should leave the aquarium "as is". I am amazed at the bond my clownfish and tang have formed. While the other fish do all get along their bond is very fascinating to watch!

- Jeff
Old 04-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As a rule, butterflies are a bit more difficult to keep. They can be very picky eaters and often times will not readily accpet prepared foods. An abundance of LR will help the situation. You can look at the Auriga, Raccoon or Pearlscale as some options. these are all faily hardy and, once acclimated, do okay provided you can get them to eat. They are easily found at most LFS.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have 2 Heni's in my system and they are great community fish. The Only problem that I can see is that a 75 gallon is a bit on the small side for adult Heni's. They get rather large.
Also they do much better in pairs, as Lando already told you.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:36 AM   #6

i thought butterfly fish were only FW

wow, you really do learn a new thing everyday here
Old 04-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think there is such a thing as a FW butterfly, but then I haven't been at this too long.

I'm looking to finish stocking my 75g tank, and am looking at a Coral Beauty and an Auriga. Racoons are beautiful also, wish I could keep both, but don't think I would have room, since I already have an Indian Yellowtail Angel (8" when grown), and will soon be moving my Yellow Tang over from QT.

Good luck.

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a fw butterfly fish. lol http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1593

My favorite sw butterfly would be the longnosed butterfly. I had one that was pretty hearty. Awesome fish.

Tags
butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com