Butterfly fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pghjeff71

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I've been a long time lurker here but this is my first time posting. I was thinking of adding a butterfly to my Fish Only 75G aquarium and was thinking of the longfin Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish. Does anyone have experience with this fish? Any compatibility issues that I might face with my yellow tang?

Off-topic, I wanted to mention that adding a refugium to my setup has been the best investment I've ever made in this hobby. My water quality is incredible. I'm assuming this is something fairly new as I had not seen any mention of these even just a few years ago?

Thanks!
- Jeff

Hi Jeff. Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Henis are great fish but they really do better in groups of two or more. These fish get rather large and a 75 gal may be a bit tight for them. Have you considered another species of butterfly?

Thanks for the welcome Lando!

Do you have any suggestions-for example, what is your personal favorite? What would you personally consider adding to a 75G?

Or perhaps I should leave the aquarium "as is". I am amazed at the bond my clownfish and tang have formed. While the other fish do all get along their bond is very fascinating to watch!

- Jeff

As a rule, butterflies are a bit more difficult to keep. They can be very picky eaters and often times will not readily accpet prepared foods. An abundance of LR will help the situation. You can look at the Auriga, Raccoon or Pearlscale as some options. these are all faily hardy and, once acclimated, do okay provided you can get them to eat. They are easily found at most LFS.

I have 2 Heni's in my system and they are great community fish. The Only problem that I can see is that a 75 gallon is a bit on the small side for adult Heni's. They get rather large.
Also they do much better in pairs, as Lando already told you.

i thought butterfly fish were only FW

wow, you really do learn a new thing everyday here :roll: :mrgreen:

I don't think there is such a thing as a FW butterfly, but then I haven't been at this too long.

I'm looking to finish stocking my 75g tank, and am looking at a Coral Beauty and an Auriga. Racoons are beautiful also, wish I could keep both, but don't think I would have room, since I already have an Indian Yellowtail Angel (8" when grown), and will soon be moving my Yellow Tang over from QT.

Good luck.

--Aquabear

Back
Top Bottom