Butterfly fish : most likely for reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a copperband in my reef. Though he has devistated every small featherduster in the tank, he is well fed and bothers nothing else. I was warned about small polyps such as zoos and button but I have had no issues at all. I see him eat the occasional bristleworm which doesn't hurt my feelings but I prefer he didn't for the fauna reasons. I think if well fed they do just fine in reef tanks, especially SPS tanks.

HTH
R-

Copperband butterfly
four eyed butterfly
Carribean reef butterfly

I seem to remember reading that tinkers butterflies were reef safe, if you wanna pay the price for one, but that deserves some research first, not sure on that one. I would also point out that IMO, no butterfly is "reef safe", those metioned above are considered reef friendly.

You know me, I like to twist and bend the rules as much as possible. I have had a Regal Angel in my tank for over two weeks and he has yet to touch a coral of any kind. Of course, he is a freak, he prefers flake food over frozen.

Heneochus Butterflies are reef safe. They are 100% plantonic. Its a certain type of butterfly though, but they are pretty easy to identify once you know what to look for.

Squishy

The Heniochus acuminatus has the possibility of being a Coral picker. The Heniochus diphreutes is a Zooplanktivore. Hard to tell them apart, but the Heniochus d. has a smaller mouth and a more rounded breat area. I just purchased 2 and am hoping they are the latter. I believe they are :wink: , keeping my finger crossed.

The easiest way to tell is that the center black stripe ends at the bottom point of the triangle... if you think of the fish as a triangle.... l> ...There, thats my fish... number the points clockwise. 1 on the top, 2 on the right, 3 at the bottom. The stripe should end right at the 3rd point of the triangle. If thats the case...you have a plankton eater.

Great tip thanks!! I'll check that tonight. Its a tough ID otherwise.
(y)
PS: of course if what they eat is a sign, I'm in trouble. The one thats eating chows on EVERYTHING I offer. :roll:
The other is being treated for illness.

Back
Top Bottom