Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Butterfly in QT

I put a Long-nosed butterfly in my QT last night, and he hasn't eaten yet (that I've seen).

When I go to feed them (I also have a Banggai Cardinal in there), the Banggai eats fine (brine shrimp/mysis/veggies), but the Butterfly's fin goes up and he doesn't go for the food at all.

Perhaps he gets it all when it's on the bottom afterwards, when I've gone away (it does all seem to have gone! The Banggai doesn't usually poke at the bottom like the Butterfly does).

Any tips/suggestions?

Old 06-01-2004, 01:34 AM   #2

First id check on him. Get out of sight or whatever, and just watch from a distance. If you see him eating, thats good news. Eventually he will start to associate you with food, and become more friendly. Just make sure hes eating thats the important part!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
If all else fails, you can try soaking the food in a little garlic juice. This can stimulate a feeding responce.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

After how many days of him not eating should I be getting worried?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

He really doesn't seem to like it in my QT - he's picking at the bottom/sides of the tank, presumably looking for food, but of course there isn't any there! Then when I put some food in, from what I can see (tonight) he sort of went for it, but not very positively. Then he started sticking his mouth out of the water.

I'm thinking of taking him out and putting him in my main tank, with lots of rock to graze on etc., and a nicer environment.

I know he's been in my LFS for at least a month, always looking well - never with his dorsal fin up, until I got him home and put him in my QT, when it's up now nearly all the time.

What do you guys think? Should I see if he lasts in QT, or give him a better chance in my main tank?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to try some food soaked in garlic juice on thurs, as well as some nori (if I can) put in for a couple of hours.

If that fails, I may consider putting him straight in my main tank. Lots of rock for him to graze on there, as well as a much nicer environment.

What does anyone think?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be careful, his lack of eating could be from something you don't want in your main. Most LFS use the same water throughout their systems. With many animals coming in and out from the wild, many things could be brought in.
Just my opinion, but I would try the nori and the garlic juice first. If you have to put him in the main, at least do a good FW dip first.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Putting him in the main tank would really be a last resort. But then again, if he really isn't too good, as you said do I really want whatever he's got (if anything) transferred to my main tank?

What is involved in a FW dip?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use R/O or declorinated water. Match the temp and the ph to his tank water, thats the most important thing. You can then put him in for 5 minutes or so as long as he does not get stressed. Signs of stress are, spitting water or trying to jump out of the bucket. Don't get nervous if he just lies there, that is normal. Adding an airstone would also help.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK - so non-saltwater, basically. I don't have an airstone...

I don't have to acclimate him to the FW then? And do I have to acclimate him from the FW into my main tank when the dip is finished?

Tags
butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com