Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Button Polyps not opening ?

I recently (9 days ago, the 29th of November) bought a small piece of rock with about 20 button polyps on it. But to this day, only about half of the polyps are actually opening?

Does anybody have a suggestion on what to do? The guy at the lfs told me I needed to feed them phytoplankton. I just thought he was trying to make another sale so I did not try it. Would feeding them open them up?

I have a 15G aquarium that has been setup for 11 months. It has a 65W CF light on it. I placed the rock halfway up in the tank in a low-flow area.

RISEANDFLOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
They can be at times tempramental and will not open for some reason , do check to see if any thing is irritating them such as sundial snails, nudibranches ,astrena stars ,crabs .
You can use a turkey baster to blow them off and see if that helps sometimes just getting ditrus on the mat will irritate them .
What do you have in your tank resident wise (fish ,inverts .)
What are your perameters ?
How old are your lights ?
You dont need to direct feed them they will pull stuff from the water colum. Some times mine will grab mysis or cyclopeeze or oyster eggs that get put in to feed the fish . But I dont direct feed them

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
How are your water parameters? Button polyps are not filter-feeders, per say, so the phyto is not the best option. Sadielynn offers some good suggestions for food. Keep in mind, they may still be adjusting to the new tank. After a couple of weeks they should be opening, if not, try a new position in the tank with different flow and lighting.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that phyto is not needed. Maybe some mysis would be good. As the others asked what are your water parameters?
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
cyclops are good also
Cap360 is offline   Reply With Quote

button polyps, polyp, polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com