Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

when i get home im going to post some before and after pictures of my polyps, there is a HUGE difference.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

here are some before and after

Old 11-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

VERMITID SNAILS are all over this frag. I was just reading that they are good but pose a problem with corals. I often find stringy stuff all over them and thought this was OK. Please give me any info on this issue being that my polyps haven't been open in over a month. Thanks for all your help. I also have found another very small button at the very bottom of my tank and it is open a doing good.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

As much as you want to go cheap on lighting, I'm afraid your polyps don't share your enthusiasm for the idea. A couple folks here have pointed towards your lighting, and I'll have to agree with them.

I've got vermitid snails all over my tank, and they don't cause any issues for the corals. They cast their sticky webs out when there's excess food in the tank, and reel in their meals. I've never seen it being a concern to corals at all.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

no one has anything to say about my polyp growth?

and i got my lighting for i think 90 bucks at marine depot, its a 65 watt 50/50 power compact w/ a moon light.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

What size is your tank? That is the same lighting I have plus I have a 20w actinic bulb for additional light. My green star polyps I just bought have opened just fine at the bottom of my tank. But till this day my buttons won't open. I think they are being attacked by some sort of algae or fungus. Ohh by the way, nice pics, your polyps look way better than mine. I will post more pics of the frag tommorrow. Till then thank you all!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a 20 gallon tall, now lets not talk about the water content, the small polyp rock that i made has been sitting at the bottom in the sand since i glued the polyps on it, the top of the rock is 10 inches from the water surface because of my deep sand bed. if you have the same lighting i have, and your polyps are anywhere less then 10 inches from the water surface, then your polyps should have opened by now.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

if your polyps ever open, i would recommend feeding them blood worms and brine shrimp, they will grow faster and their flagella seem to grow longer.

Tags
button polyps, polyp, polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com