Buy fish online!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alco1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in Australia, considering buying marine fish online.

I've never done it before, always been afraid something is going to go wrong

Found this website: Marine Fish Direct

It look quite good and legit, but was hoping that someone who gone through experience in fish delivered to their house has had any issues

And what sort of acclimation process should I be doing when I receive the fish?

I would be very wary of buying fish online again as i believe being shipped caused a columnaris outbreak which im now fighting.

yea that's what im afraid of.... so definitely QT 100% but from what I've heard, if they deliver the fish... don't they normally add some sort of chemical compound in the water to decrease stress from the movement? If they normally do, would it be ok for that sort of water to go into my QT?

lol I always thought columnaris was more of a freshwater disease..... iv'e learnt something :) good to know

yea that's what im afraid of.... so definitely QT 100% but from what I've heard, if they deliver the fish... don't they normally add some sort of chemical compound in the water to decrease stress from the movement? If they normally do, would it be ok for that sort of water to go into my QT?

lol I always thought columnaris was more of a freshwater disease..... iv'e learnt something :) good to know

Its a freshwater disease, i was just using it as an example of shipping causing illness through stress. Yes they do ship them with heat packs and stress releaving chemicals. Im in the uk and it took less than 24hrs. I dont know if i would do it again, possibly if it was something i had to have and i manage to fight of the outbreak im having. I wouldnt add the water to the QT as it will be full of dirt, just acclimate them to the QT water.

Last edited:
I'm in Australia also and have used livefish.com.au and have had good results. They also have a DOA thing that if anything is dead you take a photo and send it in to them and whatever an they give you your choice of store credit or a refund.

yea thanks for that, I was reading up on the marinefishdirect hidden T&Cs and they also have a DOA guarantee and 7 day guarantee as well for store credit.

Pryzz..... have you had any issues with the stock before? like missing ligaments, fins.... unhealthy fish or anything like that?

not really living far away..... I want to get a few fairy wrasses and always have the trouble of get a couple at the same time to avoid battles.... never find more than one at a LFS, plus on the website they seem to have a wide range of stock and a lot of fish ive been wanting for a while and never seen them in LFS

Nope, never had a problem. I'm not saying it wont happen but I've never had any issues like that.

Back
Top Bottom