Buying a blue spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have decided I have to have it. I intend to drip acclimate it for an hour and a half, I have heard about netting and puffers not agreeing. How should I introduce it without introducing water from another tank then? Does anyone have any tips for once he is introduced as to keeping it as healthy as possible?

I have decided I have to have it. I intend to drip acclimate it for an hour and a half, I have heard about netting and puffers not agreeing. How should I introduce it without introducing water from another tank then? Does anyone have any tips for once he is introduced as to keeping it as healthy as possible?
Hmm i would say to dump the bag onto a spaghetti strainer and then bring the strainer over to the tank. But maybe it'll be too much for the puffer?

Unless your water parameters are significantly off compared to the lfs, a 30 minute acclimation is more than sufficient while leaving the airline open at full stream. heyz0os is correct in that a plastic strainer would be best for transfer or just use your hands (never net puffers).

Thanks, I appreciate the responses guys. I have read that the spotted puffers are pretty hardy. My water is near perfect anyways, but I still prefer to stay away from fish that require to much finesse.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses guys. I have read that the spotted puffers are pretty hardy. My water is near perfect anyways, but I still prefer to stay away from fish that require to much finesse.
No problem:]

I have some frozen food that is a mix of squid, shrimp, clams, etc... I dissolved it in warm water like I do for my clowns and blenny but he didn't go for it. He spits it out. He is biting my live rock and spitting out whatever he pulls off. He is swimming normally with no signs of illness, but I need to get him eating, any suggestions?

I did not net him, he got a 45 min drip acclimation and I poured the water over a strainer and immediately put him in water. He is exploring the caves in the rock work and biting at pretty much everything. I guess if he gets hungry enough he will just kill a snail or hermit. He isn't bothering any other fish though, so that is a good thing.

Mother in law just called me from the house, apparently he is having a snail or hermit for breakfast. She can't tell, she just said he is eating something in a shell.

Purevil21 said:
I have some frozen food that is a mix of squid, shrimp, clams, etc... I dissolved it in warm water like I do for my clowns and blenny but he didn't go for it. He spits it out. He is biting my live rock and spitting out whatever he pulls off. He is swimming normally with no signs of illness, but I need to get him eating, any suggestions?
I think it's a normal thing for new fish. When i first got my clowns, they'd spit the flakes I gave them but now they're crazy over it. Just give the puffer awhile. He WILL have his hunger satisfied with your inverts though haha I haven't heard of a puffer wiping out all the inverts but keep an eye out.

I found the puffer dead this morning, no idea what happened. Water conditions are perfect.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.025

Checked water again, no signs of change throughout the day. All other live stock is fine, no signs of ich, fin rot, or anything else. He was in Quarantine for 3 weeks, died 24 hours after introduction to main tank.

Yeah but that's what make it so much more satisfying when everything actually works out. I lost one of my green chromis the other day. Who knows what happened. Its weird how he lived for 3 weeks in QT but died in 24 in DT.

Yeah, no telling sometimes. LFS gave me 15 bucks in store credit towards something else.

Ah I'm sorry to hear about the puffer. Maybe your other fish picked on em to death?

You should try a cowfish. With the 15 dollar credit it'll cost you like 20-25 dollars. They're interesting:] Only immediate downside is they might break a horn

My tank is too small for a cowfish, its a 65 gallon. The clowns and blenny didn't go anywhere near the puffer, total mystery. I am not seeing anything wrong with my other livestock.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what may have killed him? Do these animals stress easily?

Yes they do stress easy how did you transport him into the dt did he puff up? the can release toxens. I've got a small Saddle Valentini Puffer had him for about 2 weeks first fish in my tank the guy at my lfs put a squirt of this liquid into the transport bag that clams the fish down when transporting. He did not even puff up when I netted him and put him into my tank. I'm thinking maybe stress from transfer from qt to dt

Never puffed, I would imagine your lfs put stress coat in the bag. I really have no idea what happened.

Back
Top Bottom