Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have decided I have to have it. I intend to drip acclimate it for an hour and a half, I have heard about netting and puffers not agreeing. How should I introduce it without introducing water from another tank then? Does anyone have any tips for once he is introduced as to keeping it as healthy as possible?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
I have decided I have to have it. I intend to drip acclimate it for an hour and a half, I have heard about netting and puffers not agreeing. How should I introduce it without introducing water from another tank then? Does anyone have any tips for once he is introduced as to keeping it as healthy as possible?
Hmm i would say to dump the bag onto a spaghetti strainer and then bring the strainer over to the tank. But maybe it'll be too much for the puffer?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Unless your water parameters are significantly off compared to the lfs, a 30 minute acclimation is more than sufficient while leaving the airline open at full stream. heyz0os is correct in that a plastic strainer would be best for transfer or just use your hands (never net puffers).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I appreciate the responses guys. I have read that the spotted puffers are pretty hardy. My water is near perfect anyways, but I still prefer to stay away from fish that require to much finesse.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the responses guys. I have read that the spotted puffers are pretty hardy. My water is near perfect anyways, but I still prefer to stay away from fish that require to much finesse.
No problem:]
Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have some frozen food that is a mix of squid, shrimp, clams, etc... I dissolved it in warm water like I do for my clowns and blenny but he didn't go for it. He spits it out. He is biting my live rock and spitting out whatever he pulls off. He is swimming normally with no signs of illness, but I need to get him eating, any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did not net him, he got a 45 min drip acclimation and I poured the water over a strainer and immediately put him in water. He is exploring the caves in the rock work and biting at pretty much everything. I guess if he gets hungry enough he will just kill a snail or hermit. He isn't bothering any other fish though, so that is a good thing.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mother in law just called me from the house, apparently he is having a snail or hermit for breakfast. She can't tell, she just said he is eating something in a shell.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21
I have some frozen food that is a mix of squid, shrimp, clams, etc... I dissolved it in warm water like I do for my clowns and blenny but he didn't go for it. He spits it out. He is biting my live rock and spitting out whatever he pulls off. He is swimming normally with no signs of illness, but I need to get him eating, any suggestions?
I think it's a normal thing for new fish. When i first got my clowns, they'd spit the flakes I gave them but now they're crazy over it. Just give the puffer awhile. He WILL have his hunger satisfied with your inverts though haha I haven't heard of a puffer wiping out all the inverts but keep an eye out.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found the puffer dead this morning, no idea what happened. Water conditions are perfect.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.025

Checked water again, no signs of change throughout the day. All other live stock is fine, no signs of ich, fin rot, or anything else. He was in Quarantine for 3 weeks, died 24 hours after introduction to main tank.

Tags
puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com