Buying A Reef Capable Light Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reef79 said:
What size tank and depth what type of corals have you considered led

55 gal. 20 inches deep. I mainly want softies, Lps, and an anemone.

I have a 180 I'm using Tao tronics around $150 a piece you would need two for 48". You can check them out on my forum 180 reef more than enough for lps I've got some pics of candy cane and a pectinia. Corals that don't require high levels you can keep toward the bottom deffinetly recommend led the bulbs on the T 5 HO will require changing every year and you may have to run a chiller to compensate the heat produced. The led are vented well and do not produce heat. No temp fluctuations in tank

I'm thinking of buying some directly from china, I've found a supplier who will do $79 for nondimmable taotronics, 99$ for dimmable , or $129 for a new style with a programmable timer . I'm thinking of ordering 3 of the $129 ones.

If there 16"x8 1/2" you should only need two to cover a 48" long tank imo just trying to save you some $ great deal. By the way make sure they get the correct plugs I ordered a titanium heater once direct from China it came with a plug for Europe

Saratj1 said:
I'm thinking of buying some directly from china, I've found a supplier who will do $79 for nondimmable taotronics, 99$ for dimmable , or $129 for a new style with a programmable timer . I'm thinking of ordering 3 of the $129 ones.

Wow, can you share that deal? That is an amazing price!

Rhino said:
I recommend fish needitfixtures. I won't be purchasing any other brands for a while.

Definitely. Jake, if you're looking for a low price T5 light option for your 55 then I second Rino's recommendation. The FishNeedIt site has fixtures that are proven to grow loads of corals and won't ruin your budget. You won't hear many complaints from the people who use them. A lot of people who buy one from them don't even bother looking around for another brand when the need a light for their next tank.

LEDs are getting cheaper and better, but if you want T5s, which I like, then check out the FishNeedIt site. Good quality and great prices.

CorallineAlgae said:
Definitely. Jake, if you're looking for a low price T5 light option for your 55 then I second Rino's recommendation. The FishNeedIt site has fixtures that are proven to grow loads of corals and won't ruin your budget. You won't hear many complaints from the people who use them. A lot of people who buy one from them don't even bother looking around for another brand when the need a light for their next tank.

LEDs are getting cheaper and better, but if you want T5s, which I like, then check out the FishNeedIt site. Good quality and great prices.

Guys i have personally told him this about 5 times. Lol every time he says "dude those things are sooooo expensive". Haha they are really cheap for a t5 fixture and will grow almost anything.... (few exceptions). JAKE I HOPE YOU READ THIS... I WAS RIGHT! Lol

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Guys i have personally told him this about 5 times. Lol every time he says "dude those things are sooooo expensive". Haha they are really cheap for a t5 fixture and will grow almost anything.... (few exceptions). JAKE I HOPE YOU READ THIS... I WAS RIGHT! Lol

Totally right!

The Odyssea lights would work out okay for soft corals, zoas, palys, mushrooms, xenia, LPSs, and perhaps even a few SPSs if placed at the very top. I wouldn't put an anemone under them in a 55. The reflectors and low performing ballast just don't cut it on a tank that tall with an animal that difficult.

The price of the anemone should easily pay the cost difference for the upgrade to a FishNeedIt fixture. They're very cheap for what they are and you honestly do get a lot of upgrades for the small increase in price. You're still in high school so I bet money doesn't come easily. If you do end up getting the Odyssea setup you may want to think about an alternative for the anemone. My clowns all hosted in long tentacled toadstool leathers. I was even able to propagate them and make some cash to help me pay for tank costs. Can't do that with an anemone!!!

Just so you know, I use a Odyssea 2xT5 light fixture on my 20H planted tank. I chose it because it doesn't produce as much light as other fixtures. It runs closer to a normal output T5 than a HO T5. Perfect for growing plants, but questionable for an anemone in a tall tank.
Good luck man. ^_^

If u want T-5HO go with the 4bulb aquatic life fixture. It's got a timer,moonlights, and individual reflectors for each bulb

I bought the fixture yesterday. I mean it was right on my budget. I feel like this fixture will be just as good as any other 48 ft 4 bulb t5. The only thing that's different is the reflectors maybe. Either way it's 216 Watts and that's at least 3-4 watts per gallon in my tank. I really hope an anemone will thrive in the upper/middle section of my tank.

Dot worry dude, it was a good purchase. For the money i feel like you got a good light. Not every one of us can afford insane lights, especially not us teenagers :) it will all be good!

Back
Top Bottom