Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Buying A Reef Capable Light Fixture

I've been looking for a light fixture for awhile now and wanted some suggestions. I'm afraid of buying online because the bulbs may come in damaged. I've never bought from eBay but am considering to buy this fixture since it's on sale. Please leave me some advice thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Aquarium-...#ht_1689wt_689

Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What size tank and depth what type of corals have you considered led

Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef79
What size tank and depth what type of corals have you considered led
55 gal. 20 inches deep. I mainly want softies, Lps, and an anemone.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 180 I'm using Tao tronics around $150 a piece you would need two for 48". You can check them out on my forum 180 reef more than enough for lps I've got some pics of candy cane and a pectinia. Corals that don't require high levels you can keep toward the bottom deffinetly recommend led the bulbs on the T 5 HO will require changing every year and you may have to run a chiller to compensate the heat produced. The led are vented well and do not produce heat. No temp fluctuations in tank
Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm thinking of buying some directly from china, I've found a supplier who will do $79 for nondimmable taotronics, 99$ for dimmable , or $129 for a new style with a programmable timer . I'm thinking of ordering 3 of the $129 ones.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

If there 16"x8 1/2" you should only need two to cover a 48" long tank imo just trying to save you some $ great deal. By the way make sure they get the correct plugs I ordered a titanium heater once direct from China it came with a plug for Europe
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
I'm thinking of buying some directly from china, I've found a supplier who will do $79 for nondimmable taotronics, 99$ for dimmable , or $129 for a new style with a programmable timer . I'm thinking of ordering 3 of the $129 ones.
Wow, can you share that deal? That is an amazing price!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I recommend fish needitfixtures. I won't be purchasing any other brands for a while.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino
I recommend fish needitfixtures. I won't be purchasing any other brands for a while.
Definitely. Jake, if you're looking for a low price T5 light option for your 55 then I second Rino's recommendation. The FishNeedIt site has fixtures that are proven to grow loads of corals and won't ruin your budget. You won't hear many complaints from the people who use them. A lot of people who buy one from them don't even bother looking around for another brand when the need a light for their next tank.

LEDs are getting cheaper and better, but if you want T5s, which I like, then check out the FishNeedIt site. Good quality and great prices.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

Definitely. Jake, if you're looking for a low price T5 light option for your 55 then I second Rino's recommendation. The FishNeedIt site has fixtures that are proven to grow loads of corals and won't ruin your budget. You won't hear many complaints from the people who use them. A lot of people who buy one from them don't even bother looking around for another brand when the need a light for their next tank.

LEDs are getting cheaper and better, but if you want T5s, which I like, then check out the FishNeedIt site. Good quality and great prices.
Guys i have personally told him this about 5 times. Lol every time he says "dude those things are sooooo expensive". Haha they are really cheap for a t5 fixture and will grow almost anything.... (few exceptions). JAKE I HOPE YOU READ THIS... I WAS RIGHT! Lol

Tags
cap, fixture, light, light fixture, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com