Buying damaged corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I've been looking at maybe purchasing 3-4 different 'damaged' corals from my lfs, they are only $5 each and some of them don't even look that bad. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I know you can't see the condition they're in but would there be a chance that a few could or would survive?

Thanks again, all opinions, experiences and tips please post.!

Hey guys, I've been looking at maybe purchasing 3-4 different 'damaged' corals from my lfs, they are only $5 each and some of them don't even look that bad. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I know you can't see the condition they're in but would there be a chance that a few could or would survive?

Ive done it before and never have saved one once they start to die they usually dont come back. Lps and sps are hard to get to come back ive never bought dying softies though.

I was bought a finger tip coral from my girlfriend that was damaged didn't make it didn't even blossom or open big waste of money

If you could provide us with a lil more info of how they are "damaged" we could give you a more accurate answer but I've bought quite a few sad looking corals for cheap to turn them around. A fellow member on AA actually gave me his receding birdsnrst which I've brought back over the last 2 months.

Bigalwoo said:

I have done this as well.. I never had much luck with LPS ( I have but its like a 30% chance) but soft corals always have.. I find it fun and for as cheap as they are between 5 and 10 for me its worth the shot.

Mrc8858 said:
If you could provide us with a lil more info of how they are "damaged" we could give you a more accurate answer but I've bought quite a few sad looking corals for cheap to turn them around. A fellow member on AA actually gave me his receding birdsnrst which I've brought back over the last 2 months.

Sorry but I'm not even sure what condition they are in as they change corals and conditions each week or so. But I just meant in general if people have bought them and had success, and yes soft corals is my more preferred option. Thanks for posting :)

jsmith said:
I have done this as well.. I never had much luck with LPS ( I have but its like a 30% chance) but soft corals always have.. I find it fun and for as cheap as they are between 5 and 10 for me its worth the shot.

Oh that's good to know, as I am looking to get another soft coral or so. Yes that's exactly why I am also looking too, I think the fun in gambling with purchasing 3-4 corals for 20 Dollars, rather than just buying one for 30+.

I've also have had luck with soft coral , as long as they get a nice spot in the tank they've always seem to turn around .

I bought this one yesterday from my LFS and it looks to be a leather of some sort and a Kenya tree with the rock. Got it for five bucks due to it being covered with aptasia. My butterfly ate all the aptasia within ten minutes of being in the tank! So a win for me! Anyone know what kinda leather it is? Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image-334697741.jpg
    image-334697741.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 93
Pizza101 said:
I bought this one yesterday from my LFS and it looks to be a leather of some sort and a Kenya tree with the rock. Got it for five bucks due to it being covered with aptasia. My butterfly ate all the aptasia within ten minutes of being in the tank! So a win for me! Anyone know what kinda leather it is? Here's a pic.

Wow that's awesome. Great buy there!, just a question did you ask what was wrong with the coral before buying? Also keep us posted on how it comes along :)

Bigalwoo said:
Wow that's awesome. Great buy there!, just a question did you ask what was wrong with the coral before buying? Also keep us posted on how it comes along :)

Yes sir. The rock itself was covered with aptasia, but my butterfly had it gone in ten minutes or so!

I have bought damaged corals for years. I look for them.

If you have a proper frag tank with all parameters in order, most corals, even SPS, if not too far gone will recover completely. I have done this with acros, frogspawn, hammers, chalice, and many types of soft coral. I have a frogspawn that I got with only three polyps left. It is the size of a soccer ball now.

I have a birdsnest that was about 90% white after my angel ate it, was gonna throw it out but didn't for some reason. That coral is now completely brown and looks better than ever! It didn't even start out this brown, so I'm glad I didn't throw it out. It can be done, it depends on the coral I guess.

I received some palys from someone that almost died because they were fragged the day before and had not healed. I started dosing vitamin c after a week of them looking half dead and barely attached, they opened fully and grabbed on to the rock. If you read about it people have good experiences bringing fish and coral back to health. A fellow reefer told me to try Vitamarin-C from brightwells and I use it all the time.

Heres one article:
ReefSome - Vitamin C Dosing

LaWoWee said:
I received some palys from someone that almost died because they were fragged the day before and had not healed. I started dosing vitamin c after a week of them looking half dead and barely attached, they opened fully and grabbed on to the rock. If you read about it people have good experiences bringing fish and coral back to health. A fellow reefer told me to try Vitamarin-C from brightwells and I use it all the time.

Heres one article:
ReefSome - Vitamin C Dosing

+1 corals are much hardier then many people tend to believe. Pretty much as long as there is some tissue left there is a chance to recover lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom