Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Buying Fish from Online Sites?

Anyone have any good experiences with this? There was one site I saw that had free overnight shipping if you purchased $125 worth of fish. The prices per fish were really good too. I don't have a very large access to fish in my area so I thought this may be good for hard to find guys.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
I live in Montana, so I'm VERY familiar with ordering things online. A blue tang is 80 American Dollars at the lfs'!!! You can order then for 19.99 online with a live delivery guruantee, however you spell that word, haha.

I've not ordered any fish online yet, but I plan on doing so very very soon, because I want a Blue Tang to replace my Yellow Tang that didn't survive a water change earlier this month

I'd just say make sure that you get a live delivery guruantee...

HTH, Joshua...
P.S., I just got an external overflow u-tube box for 34.00 online, yay!!!

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

online purchases

I live in Montreal, Canada and i was wondering if you know of any sites that deliver marine fish to cananda

philly
philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yellow Tang that didn't survive a water change earlier this month
sorry to hear that, how did you prepare the water prior to adding it to the tank?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ordering online is good if you are getting a few items. With shipping it does not really make sense to just get one thing. I have used liveaquaria.com and had success with them. the have a new 15 day warrenty on livestock. I have had fish die and they credited my account no questions asked. I even got a Coral Beauty from them that arrived with puff eye. They said they would replace it if anything happened to it past the warrenty timeline. Down side is that you do not get to hand pick your livestock.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

www.saltwaterfish.com has free overnight shipping on all fish orders 79.99 and up plus a 9.99 surcharge. They also have a bit of info on there fish, a large selection, and good prices as far as I am concerned. They carry inverts too... not many but some rarer thigns like octopi and seahorses (which may or may not be an invert). I have never used them but I think they deserve a try.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah that sounds pretty cool nerver try to only buy one thing if possible online the shipping can somethimes be awful. And yes ordering online is fine if its a relible site and they carry good quality fish.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgetz
Quote:
Yellow Tang that didn't survive a water change earlier this month
sorry to hear that, how did you prepare the water prior to adding it to the tank?

Same as always, I use Aquasafe treatment to get rid of the chlorine and trace minerals that are harmful, then mixed it and let it sit overnight like always, but it wasn't actually the WC that killed the yellow tang, it was the aftermath.

The local government went on strike, and they stopped all "non essential" water treatments at the water treatment plant. One MAJOR drawback to this was HUGE amounts of Phosphates, being that I live in the middle of Montana, one of the biggest farming states in the Union.

My water turned into pea soup in very very short order, and I didn't have a means to fix it, it stayed that way for almost three weeks. This isn't really harmful to the fish from what I understand, except that it allowed ZERO light to hit the tank and rocks, so no other algae grew, and I didn't realize I needed to be supplementing my yellow tangs diet at this time, so I'm pretty sure she starved to death as their was no physical signs of anything.

So I feel pretty stupid over the whole deal, but now I have a UV sterilizer, and soon I'll be ordering an AquaFX Barracuda RO/DI unit to prepare my WC's from now on, so hopefullyt his will not happen again.

I am planning on replacing the Yellow Tang with a Blue Tang, any thoughts???

Thanks for your time, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Philly- try jlaquatics.com
Old 09-01-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I haven't ordered any fish online yet, due to just setting up my tank. I have been told by the people at my LFS that if for any reason you have to ship the fish back, you have to pay for shipping.

My LFS is pretty good, they have told me that if I find a fish online and want to get it to let them know and they can order it. When it comes in, they will quarentine it for a week and make sure it eats and all. If it dies during that week, they won't charge me for it. Plus, all the employees there own tanks and give advice off their own experience. They aren't really going to try to sell me an agressive fish that will eat all my inverts. They won't stop me from buying it, but they will give me the heads up before hand.

Just my 2 cents.

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com