Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Buying livestock online

So I've read the article, but now I'm curious...

How many people but their fish online? Which sites are recommended?

I feel like I should be adding the animals that I want and are best for my tank, not merely whatever is available in my LFS. Also, I don't really have an accessible LFS that I think is all that great. One LFS said they'd order what I want if I put down a deposit, but that seems to be adding a middle man. Of course, shipping costs are so high that it might be cheaper to have the LFS order it, but the animal would be acclimating twice in a short period of time. Can't be good.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.

Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Some of us have to buy livestock online because we are not as fortune enough as some to have good quality LFS's to get our supply from. If you check our general retilers area you should find alot of good references. Depending on what your wanting to purchase there are different online stores that might have better deals for the specific items of interest.

You can see an article I wrote in our articles area about things to know before purchasing livestock online aswell.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I bought an algae attack pack from Liveaquaria.com. It had 70 some odd snails and hermit crabs in it. It also had a Blenny. Everything arrived alive and has been doing great for months now. I plan on purchasing from them again. They also have a 10 day guarantee which is better then i've ever seen on a SW fish (most lfs I have seen don't have any)
Old 05-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get a few buddies interested in the hobby and make group orders. Dropping $35 on shipping for a $10 is kind of hard, but $35 split up isn't bad at all.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Heh, I wish I could. I don't know anyone with a tank, and everyone I know thinks I'm marginally crazy for doing this.

On the upside, I doubt I'll ever make an ill-advised impluse buy!
Fluval 304
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
Old 05-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have also ordered from liveaquaria.com many times. I've ordered fish, corals, inverts, and macroalgae. I've received everything alive and all is doing well.

They are probably the biggest online retailers and have been in the business for a long time. Plus their shipping is the cheapest i've found...25 bucks no other fees!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Here is a post I made yesterday regarding ordering corals online:
I recommend www.reefermadness.us You get what you see in the pictures, shipping is included in the cost, nobody else can come close to touching their packaging, and I have yet to find an online retailer than gets corals of thier quality.
Aside from them I like Etropicals for frags because they carry ORA. Liveaquria is a good place to buy stuff for learning, but IMO as you advance you'll be passing the corals you get from them off on others to make way for other things. Liveaquaria has great policies, however its like shopping at walmart, all you get is the most common things that are available to them in bulk. If your feeling bold I can say you have a 50/50 shot at coralsandbar.com, they have a great stock, however their packaging is less than desirable. I have heard really good things about DrmacCorals.com but have not used them. I know a lot more online retailers are out there, if you have a good exeperience with one, pass the info on, its always good to try new people.

As far as cleanup critters go I would suggest reeftopia.com those guys are great.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

What about fish? That's what I'm most concerned with right now.

I had a good experience with WC Tropical Marine for inverts.
Fluval 304
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Old 05-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I bought my fish and some of my inverts from equaria.com (sister site to liveaquaria, but sometimes a tad cheaper). The quality, size, etc were excellent. The prices were great. Selection is not fantastic, but so far I've only bought pretty common fish, so it's worked for me.

I purchased some of my inverts from reefermadness. Excellent selection and packaging. They were ordered in the middle of this freezing winter and arrived nice and warm and alive.

I've also ordered from www.saltwaterfish.com. Unfortunately, most of that order was eaten or killed by things that couldn't be controlled (sucked into the filter, jumped overboard, etc). Buth they arrived perfect and looking great!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will occassionaly buy fish from liveaquaria.com. They have excellent customer service, great prices and a nice selection. They also offer you a lot of info on the fish. they have $25 flat shipping charge so if you get two or three fish it is a good deal. Buying livestock on-line, pros...cheaper, good selection, that excited feeling you get when you know the Fed Ex person is coming. Cons...can't hand-pick your livestock, must plan to be home for delivery. In short, if you are looking for one fish see if you can source it locally. If you are stocking a tank with several fish save yourself some money an order on-line. Lando

Tags
live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com