Buying Pods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with buying any of the pods online and what they thought of it. I have a great population going now and set up a sump/fuge instead of the old HOB so theres a perfect hiding spot but I got my first Mandrin last night from the LFS and want to make sure that I keep him fed. Thanks for the help! :p

Ive had the tank running without anything eating pods for over 4 years and recently added the sump/fug to allow a bigger safe haven for pods and critters. My current population is AWESOME but I want to nip any future problems in the bud since my water amount is rather low to keep the Mandrin. Just wondering what brands worked best for people.

I've never bought pods...you can always seed your fuge with some of your LR out of the main. I would also say go to the LFS and buy some macro from them or even order some from online that is where I got mine...as a result you will get more pods....

I already have around 20lbs of LR for the Fuge and have three or four different types of macros( halmedia, chaeto, and feather calerurpa, etc) hiding out in there as well. Like I said Im just wanting to insure that the fish never has a lack of food. Wasnt sure if anyone had any experience buying any off the internet.

I've never bought them, bit I'm curious too. I'd like to add a "booster" kit of pods, just incase the diversity in my tank has decreased. If you go ahead and purchase, please let us know what you think.
since my water amount is rather low to keep the Mandrin.
A mandarin should have 100 lbs or more LR to feed off of. If you can get it to eat prepared foods, ie mysis soaked in selco, it'll be better off. Some will not accept prepared food and will starve w/out the proper amount of rock. Tankmates often are faster/more aggressive feeders and leave nothing for the mandarins. You'll most likely have to target feed it. Those kits are just too expensive and small to properly feed a mandarin with.
This link has good info, feeding tips, and even a video- http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_care.html

He was definitely interested in my feeding combo of mysis DT's oyster eggs, and cyclopeese last night so I'm hoping he'll go for that. I know Im a little low on LR but Im figuring that I have almost 75lbs of great LR in a little less than 40 gallons so there should be potential food everywhere for him. I'm more worried about keeping numbers up for the future than anything.

Update: WOW thanks for the link! That makes me feel a lot better and gave me a few new ideas as well!! 8)

I agree that it is best to have a large tank with 100lbs or more of LR before attempting a mandrin. If you are lucky enough to get yours to accept prepared foods there is no guarantee on how long that will last. There are several online sources for live pods. My LFS even sells bottled live pods (three varieties). They are rather expensive and I would only consider buying them if you had a fuge to put them in so they can continue to reproduce in a safe place. Adding them to the main is pretty much feeding an expensive food and does not allow a "safe haven" for them to reproduce.

Ive got the fuge(almost as big as my main tank) and like I said I feel pretty comfortable with my current livestock. Im more worried about my future population for both the Mandrin and the well being of the tank.

Thanks I may end up getting some from them as well!!! The second link didnt work but ill def be shooting a few questions off of you!! Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom