Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Bye, bye biocube...upgrade time!!

I haven't been on the forums lately but have still been plugging away with my little tank. Today I made the leap to upgrade and I couldn't be more excited!! I just finished setting up and adding sand & water to a new JBJ 45 gallon! Is it bad I'm staring and watching/waiting for the water clear??? I plan to move everything over from my biocube 14, then moving all of my RFAs to the biocube. I know it will be a slow process, but I'm so excited it's getting started! Here's the new tank all murky and the final shot of my biocube reef...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats! Upgrades are always fun. I just went through one my self, also saltwater

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks!! I've been researching and planning stocking options...wrasses, cardinals, chromis, dragonets, gobies, clowns, oh my!!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Bye, bye biocube...upgrade time!!

I'm looking at possible fish for the new tank and would love input if you have experience with any of these. I'm obviously not planning to stock all of theses, but want to narrow down to my top choices that will fit this tank. I really want it to be a peaceful tank but also want some activity. I have a possum wrasse and royal gramma in hypo now for ich😢. They are doing well and don't have spots but I know hypo can be tricky to keep stable so I hope I am able to pull them through. I want to include them in the stock list to consider for compatibility in hopes I am successful and even if imnot would consider them both again.

Consideration list:
Marine beta - live aquaria says peaceful and reef safe -but 50 gallons and I'm at 45...ok?
I'd like a small school - would prefer blue chromis (3) but know masked goby would be less bioload (3-5)
Blue puffer - so cool looking but says caution with reef...experience with inverts and coral?
Yellow spotted sand sifting goby - I eventually want a clam, will this fish irritate it with sand?
Leopard wrasse - hear they can be difficulty
Coral beauty angel- live aquaria say 70 gallons and caution with reef...but have seen/heard others have them in a 30-40 "successfully"
Manderin dragonet - I can seed the tank with pods from my rock flower tank and let them populate over the next 8 weeks while it is fishless (from the ich)
Firefish- I lost mine to the ich and miss it not sure if I would go red or purple...or helfrichi if I could find a good price
Pajama cardinal(s)
Fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse
And depending on what I stock possibly a pair of clowns very last...always wanted to have a pair host a nem but not totally sold on getting a nem for this tank, so we'll see!

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand dollar View Post
I'm looking at possible fish for the new tank and would love input if you have experience with any of these. I'm obviously not planning to stock all of theses, but want to narrow down to my top choices that will fit this tank. I really want it to be a peaceful tank but also want some activity. I have a possum wrasse and royal gramma in hypo now for ich😢. They are doing well and don't have spots but I know hypo can be tricky to keep stable so I hope I am able to pull them through. I want to include them in the stock list to consider for compatibility in hopes I am successful and even if imnot would consider them both again.

Consideration list:
Marine beta - live aquaria says peaceful and reef safe -but 50 gallons and I'm at 45...ok?
I'd like a small school - would prefer blue chromis (3) but know masked goby would be less bioload (3-5)
Blue puffer - so cool looking but says caution with reef...experience with inverts and coral?
Yellow spotted sand sifting goby - I eventually want a clam, will this fish irritate it with sand?
Leopard wrasse - hear they can be difficulty
Coral beauty angel- live aquaria say 70 gallons and caution with reef...but have seen/heard others have them in a 30-40 "successfully"
Manderin dragonet - I can seed the tank with pods from my rock flower tank and let them populate over the next 8 weeks while it is fishless (from the ich)
Firefish- I lost mine to the ich and miss it not sure if I would go red or purple...or helfrichi if I could find a good price
Pajama cardinal(s)
Fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse
And depending on what I stock possibly a pair of clowns very last...always wanted to have a pair host a nem but not totally sold on getting a nem for this tank, so we'll see!

Thanks for sharing your experience and advise!

Marine betta should be fine in that tank as it is pretty wide an they are fairly sluggish. But they are predators.

Would skip the puffer and the dwarf angel if your having a full reef, the prob of nipping at coral goes up with the small quarters of the tank and dwarf Angels like to swim.
Puffers are know invert eaters, that's how the keep their beak filed
Could do a trio of fire fish if ya wanted but I wouldn't do anything to small bodied with a marine betta.

Any type of school would do close to maxing out your stock also, depending on the species.

Dragonet should be fine once the tank gets settled in nicely, beautiful fish.

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Skip the dragonet. It is hard to get the pod population in even this sized tank to support them. I was only able to do it in the 55 reef for over a year.
I love my marine beta. They hide for most of the time, but are really great to watch them intimidate you when you come near the tank.
Also, skip the puffer and dwarf angel like stated. Both can nip...and I'd love to give up the coral beauty in my reef after it went postal on my clam and pocillopora.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for the feedback! Will the beta eat sexy shrimp too?

I was thinking that for the puffer and angel but just wanted to be sure because they are so pretty.

What do you think total for a 45? I know the smaller fish have less bioload so it "depends". But let's say wrasse, chromis, basslett, firefish, goby, and maybe clown sizes.. What's the max combo?

Old 03-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have an ornate leopard wrasse in my 40 and he's doing great. I saw him eat at the store though and I have lots of pods for her. The big thing with leopards is they're horrible shippers. If you can find one that's eating go for it. Mines the hardiest fish I've ever seen now lol

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I have an ornate leopard wrasse in my 40 and he's doing great. I saw him eat at the store though and I have lots of pods for her. The big thing with leopards is they're horrible shippers. If you can find one that's eating go for it. Mines the hardiest fish I've ever seen now lol

Cool bribo! is he active or does he hide a lot? They are gorgeous, I want a balance of beauty and activity.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The beta will eat all your crustaceans.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com