CA and Alk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon tank with a fair amount of sps corals.
I am having trouble keeping my Ca and Alk at high enough levels.
I get my Ca up to 400 and my alk up to 9dkh using liquid CA and Coral builder. I dose kent two part daily about 15 ml per of each. My Ca within two days drops to 320 and my Alk drops to 6. Should i increase the daily 2 part The bottle says to use one 10ml per day per 40 gallons i am already over this.
Any suggestions???

Thanks
Richard

Sounds to me like your Ca/Alk demand in the tank is high due to the number of SPS corals. This is normal.

Do you use Kalk as your topoff water? If not, I would definatly advise you start doing this as it will help keep those Ca/Alk levels high.

There is a recommendation on wetwebmedia for using a kalkwasser "slurry" as one form of dosing kalkwasser, which I happen to like also. I found it very helpful for the Ca and Alk.
Recently I changed salt from IO to Coralife and now my Ca and Alk are much higher without the addition of kalk.

You are most likely suffering from a sag in mg levels. Please check your mg to make sure its 3 times your ca level. Preferably 1300 - 1350ppm. A sag in mg levels results in difficulty maint ca and alk levels.

Peace.

mg levels were 1375. I think the coral is just consuming more and more calcium. i am going to try to raise to 420 and increase the two part!!!

I second the kalk drip. I had the same problem till I did this, and I still have to stay on top of it.

Back
Top Bottom