Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmn101
I too use IO Reef Crystals and I was just getting ready to post a ? on how to get the Ca up. Iíve read about the ionic balance between Ca / Alk. I have also been using the B- Ionic but according to a couple reef chemistry calculators Iíve been using it would take bottles and bottles of the stuff to raise it and be ionically balanced.
Let us know how the turbo Ca works
Calculator- http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html
Well, tonight I finally got up to 400ppm Ca. Since my Magnesium was just a tad on the low side, I figured I do a couple more dosings with the Ca part only of the B-ionic since it has Mg in it also. I dosed 30ml yesterday (46 gallon tank) and dosed 40ml this morning. Yesterday, I didn't see an increase in Ca, but today I finally jumped from 380 to 400. Alkalinity is still about 2.8 meq/l, pH is at 8.2.

It seems that there is definitely a little lag in my system between putting in extra Ca and detecting it with a test kit. I'm not going to dose any for the next couple of days and see what things level out at. I'm guessing my Ca will drift a bit higher and then I'll be "balanced." At that point, I'll start doing the normal 2-part dose again with both parts and just use the Turbo Calcium for my PWC water to keep that level up around 400ppm.

Will keep you posted.

Oh... ckmn101, if you haven't seen this article yet, it'll probably help you out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Old 01-02-2007, 04:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Again Kurt if you are staying around 380 with no SPS you would probably be better off with PWC's

Dont get yourself all stressed over CA at 380.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

As I mentioned previously, without any dosing the best Ca I can get is 360. So to even get 380, I'm going to have to do something other than PWCs if I stay with Reef Crystals. And this whole thing started because I wasn't doing any dosing whatsoever and noticed a sudden drop off in my coraline algae growth. Even with PWCs of 10% a week, my Ca had dropped down to 320.

Trust me... I've got other things to stress about, and Ca in my tank isn't one of them! At this point, I'm just keeping this thread updated so others that may be thinking the same thing as me can learn from my experience. That's one thing I dislike about forums is that on occasion you find a thread that deals with exactly the problem you're wondering about, but you never find out how it ends!

Things seem to be heading in the right direction, and once I get the Ca levels up just a bit over 400, I'll start doing the "balanced" 2-part deal again with the normal recommended levels.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes I agree because I am having the same problem and reading your experience will hpoefully help me.
I only have 1 SPS now but I am trying to get my Ca levels in order so that I know what to do before Iget more SPS corals and not have a big problem all at once trying to figure out the Ca thing.

thanks for all the help
Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I have been having issues in my tank with high calcium and high alk (500 ppm Ca, 14-16 dKh) after switching to Seachem Reef Salt. After just 3-4 days my readings leveled off to 460 ppm Ca, 12 dKh. Of course, I also use tap water, which I am assuming is contributing to my elevated calcium. I was advised my Hara and Innovator to be patient and let things balance out, and they did. Now, I should be able to monitor things correctly with just more frequent partial water changes and being patient. The complete opposite problem you are having Kurt, just wanted to share. It seems our tanks take it upon themselves to even things out for us, seems that was your case. Glad you got it figured out now.

I personally like Ca at or above 400 to try and fuel coraline growth, but personal preference is everything in this hobby.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just an update...

I finally got some Turbo Calcium and added it to my main tank to bump my Ca up a few more points. (Dissolved it in about a cup of tank water, outside of the tank, and slowly added it over about five minutes.) My tank went from 400ppm in the morning (when I added the TurboCa) to 420 in the evening - right where I wanted it. I've also added the TurboCa to my PWC water that I have premade up and got that up to 400-420 ppm. My alkalinity is staying about 8-9 dkH and my pH is at 8.3 with my SG at 1.024.

I'd restarted doing the two-part Ca/Alk additive at the recommended dosage, but stopped as it seemed like my alkalinity was starting to creep up on me. After 3 days of dosing, it was about 10-11dkH. Now that I've got my Ca levels where I want them, I'm going to restart the dosing but only with half the recommended amount and see how that balances out.

A couple things I've noticed...

* Using just the Ca part of a two-part additive to increase your Ca seems to have quite a lag time before you can measure any increase in Ca. And then when you stop dosing, it still creeps up on you a little more. When I used the TurboCalcium... bang - it raised it just like that. (Maybe that's why it's called turbo?)

* I was starting to wonder if my Mg levels of 1140 were causing me problems getting my Ca levels to increase. After seeing the results of the TurboCa, I can see that's not an issue.

* If you're doing any dosing for Ca/Alk - even with a "no-brainer" two-part system, get and use a Ca and Alk test kit. The Alkalinity part of it can really get skewed if you're not adding the correct amount. It's nothing that a few water changes won't fix, but in my opinion it's better to know where you're going than finding out after the fact you've got a problem.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:09 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Thanks for the update Kurt. Glad you got things under control!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just another update...

In my last post, I mentioned that I was adding TurboCalcium to my PWC water and that the alkalinity was staying around 8-9 dKh. Oops... I spoke too soon! As usual, you can't have your cake and eat it too, and I've had to add a little buffer to my PWC water to get it back up to 8 or 9 dkH. Sooo... here's what I'm doing, just for the record.

* I mix up 4 teaspoons of TurboCalcium in 1 quart of DI water.
* I mix my salt water up in 3.5 gallon batches to a SG of 1.024-1.025 using 2 cups of Reef Crystals using DI water.
* For every 3.5 gallon batch of salt water, I add 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of the concentrated Turbo Calcium solution I made up, and 5 ml of the alkalinity component ONLY of either B-ionic or C-balance.

That combo give me PWC water that has about 420ppm Ca and a 8-9 dKh alkalinity, at a pH of around 8.2-8.3.

Hope this might help someone out.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
So then what should i do if The Ca and Mag are ok but my Alk/Ph is too high?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Glad your getting it figured out but as was said earlier, if you are keeping softies or even a few LPS, dosing is really not necessary. Having Ca at 360 is fine if you Alk is in balance. I had excellent growth with softies and some big LPS when I used IO and dosed nothing. Unless you are doing acros, I would not worry about it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com