Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Ca reactor, kalk reactor, or drip kalk?

Finally setting up my 200g tank!!!

I'll need some massive ca/alk dosing equipment. Will have around 350-400lbs or lr for now, 10 clams, 20 smaller-medium size hard corals, 20 or so softies. I've been dripping 2 gallons of kalk water a day with decent sucess but don't know what to do on the new tank.

I don't have a ton of $$ to spend so I"m stuck with either building a ca reactor or finding a good used one. Or I could build/buy a kalk reactor. Or cheapest would be to build some type of autotop off w/ kalk water. Is there a big differnece between a kalk reactor and a hopmade topoff w/ kalk? I"m not sure which method would work the best for keeping levels up....any suggestions?

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed that calcium reactors are poplular among people with large tanks filled with lots of SPS and clams.

DIY a calcium reactor

Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, sounds like you have a lot of tank and a low budget. You can make a DIY kalk doser out of practically anything. Some use gallon jugs, some use 5 gallon buckets. Anything that will seal enough to hold a siphon. Thats your absolute cheapest option. Just above that is buying a 'doser'. Above that would find kalk'reactors' and then finally Ca reactors. I personally and prefer even though I have the $$ to burn if I wanted, to drip kalk. Its just more natural imo. However, people do get great results with reactors too once they are dialed in proper. More to your point, kalk can cost you as much or as little as you want. Reactors, well, the co2 (10 gallon) tank can run around $90 empty. I would recommend trying kalk 1st for a couple to 6 months and see how it goes for you. At least if you do not prefer it, you are out the least amount of $$..

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I currently drip 2g of kalk a day..... so it's ok but I think it may be a pain to drip/mix up 4-5 gallons for my 200g tank. I could swing a ca raeactor if I really needed to but my 8-2 euroreef, and my 2 tunze 6100's w/ multicontroller as well as a ton of little things such as plumbing etc is crimping my bank account.
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote

drip, reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com