Calc, alk, mag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mag is low. Calc is low but acceptable. Alk is, well, invisible.
More frequent water changes with some type of reef quality salt should raise them all. But if your heavily stocked with corals or do weekly water changes, then the first thing you need to do is raise the mag levels. That will also slow the precipitation of calcium and carbonates raising both those levels as well.

I'm gonna guess that that reading is in meq/L. If it is, the conversion gives 11.2dKh. And there is nothing wrong with that number. As none of the other numbers are terrible, I'm guessing that one isn't as well.

Well my buddy said they were significantly low. And that he was surprised my corals were still alive

Cal is not too low. It is on the low end of ok. But it is still ok.
Mag is low. But not alarmingly low.

Again, I think your Alk reading is in Meq/l. If it is it is on the high side of ok. Many reef keepers will jump to conclusions and assume Alk is in dKH but many test kits use the other.

However, don't just trust me or your buddy. Confirm what scale the measurement is in and then refer to something like this table

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Back
Top Bottom