Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

For sps you should be at atleast 9-11. Yea its low. Remember when your alk is down your ph will be off aswell. I would dose alk and slowly raise it to the levels you need which is 9-11

Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Natural seawater on most reefs is around 7 dKH alkalinity, so no, it's not too low. I personally keep mine around 8 dKH. Dosing kalk is not the way you want to raise your alk, if that's your goal. Use Arm&Hammer baking soda if you only want to raise alk.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Check out The build project
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not saying to dose kalk. If you dose kalk ur alkalinity will drop. I would raise ur alkalinity. Alk is what sps use to strengthen thier hard skeleton for growth and keep their color. In my sps tank my alk is at 10 and my calcium is at 440 and all my sps is doing great.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wasn't going to dose kalk to raise levels, just to maintain. Ok now I'm really confused
Supea
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kalk is used to maintain calcium but will bring alk levels down. I dose kalk to keep my calcium levels steady
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm I thought it maintained calcium and alk once desired levels were reached
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nope. The brightwell kalkwasser which is what i use is to maintain calcuim, strontium, and magnesium
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
SW 20 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabibi View Post
Nope. The brightwell kalkwasser which is what i use is to maintain calcuim, strontium, and magnesium
You may be a little confused.

Kalk is used to maintain calcium and alkalinity. Adding kalk will not drop your alkalinity levels, but your magnesium and strontium levels can drop since kalk doesn't really have either of those in it and they can get used in the calcification process.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php
Limewater is one of the most useful solutions for aquarists looking to maintain calcium and alkalinity in reef aquaria. I have used it for many years to supply my reef aquarium system. It can be inexpensive, is not too difficult to use, and can maintain the pH of reef aquaria even when it is otherwise reduced by calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactors or excess carbon dioxide in home air. Limewater does, however, have a number of eccentricities that aquarists need to be aware of when using it. These include high pH, limitations on how much can be added based on evaporation rates, and considerations of what else is or is not dosed along with it (such as magnesium).

Despite old beliefs that using of limewater depletes magnesium, the truth is somewhat more complicated. As was shown above, magnesium is not dosed in typical settled limewater because it is insoluble; nor is it present in very high concentration even in undissolved lime.

Using limewater can also deplete strontium, not because it is insoluble in limewater, but because there isnít much in at least some brands of lime. Since strontium may or may not be beneficial, this may or may not be a concern.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

The kalk i have has strontium and magnesium
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
SW 20 & Over Club

Don't believe any marketing ploys. Science doesn't lie. Magnesium is insoluble in kalk (calcium hydroxide).
Please take the time to read and understand the article I posed above, and if you want a little more reading, here's another.
Aquarium Chemistry: Magnesium And Strontium In Limewater — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
The reason for this result is the well known insolubility of magnesium hydroxide. Any magnesium ions released into the solution rapidly combine with hydroxide to form insoluble magnesium hydroxide that precipitates.

Closed Thread

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com