Calcium Additive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best calcium additive to buy? Since adding corals and frags my calcium is low, I never would have thought thay would suck up the calcium that fast but i keep a close eye on all my water readings and since adding them it has dropped to 320 in a 2 day period, I'm going to get something tomorrow and until I get a calcium reacter set up I need to dose it to keep it up.

I can tell you that I used Turbo Calcium and it worked like a charm. There are other products that most likely work as well, but this one worked very well for me.

My calcium levels did some freaky stuff for a while but then they leveled out. Now they drop much more slowly. I am using b-Ionic and like the results. The 2part additive is good since my Alk drops along with my Ca anyway.

WOuld it be a good idead or bad idea to occasionally use kalkwasser as part of the top off routine? Could a very dilute kalkwasser mix be used in an auto top-off setup?

I use the 2 part cal and alk from b-ionic and this stuff is great and easy.
You need to test your alkalinity and keep the Cal and alk at the right levels. They work together so you need to check both.
Do you have any coraline algae? This uses Cal and alk to grow....

Midi I want to say there are a few people in the club that do what you mention. I think they run a regular drip on Kalk to keep levels correct.

midiman said:
WOuld it be a good idead or bad idea to occasionally use kalkwasser as part of the top off routine? Could a very dilute kalkwasser mix be used in an auto top-off setup?
As long as there is a need, this would be just fine. The saturation amount of the kalk solution can be adjusted for strength based on the consumption of the tank (max 2 tspn/gal). One thing to remember though is that it adds to the alk and Ca in a balanced fashion so "tweeking" will still be necessary. Even though the additive is balanced going in, the tank will rarely use it in a balanced manner.

Cheers
Steve

Great - I'm testing frequently until I get the feeling for the "rhythm" of my tank. I have a reef buffer that I've added a couple times to keep the pH at 8.3. With the addition of one SPECTACULAR piece of branch rock just 1/2 hour ago, my LR is now complete, so I'll start ot explore the world of coral soon. Next Saturday at the local reef keeper's meeting I will be getting two frags: Xenia and clove polyp, I think. I hope to have a full understanding of the requirements by then!

Back
Top Bottom