Calcium and Alkalinity Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wondering if I have a problem? My calcium will stay about the same all the time 480. last week over the period of the week it dropped to 475. Alkalinity I had at 12dkh over the coasre of the week it dropped to 8. Is this normal to have alk being used up but not calcium? I am using Seachem Reef Builder for Alkalinity I am thinking of starting a 2 part system from Bulk Reef Supply but was kinda waiting till I started using calcium. Should I just go ahead and just add alkalinity and magnesium but not calcium? Just can't seem to get them to balance and drop together like i thought they were supposed to do. Maybe I am wrong?

Your alk is very, very high. It should be around 8 dKH, which is the average alkalinity of the water around most coral reefs.. I suggest stop using any additives. What brand salt are you using?

Are you noticing any build up of calcium carbonate (it will look like a tan-ish brown hard crust) on your heaters or pump impellers?

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

My corals seem to do better with higher alk I like to keep it around 11-12 dkh. I have seen 0 calcium build up on anything. I am using Red Sea Coral Pro

Back
Top Bottom