Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #11
steve-s

Bring the salinity up closer to 1.025 on the hydrometer for the mixing vessel and retest. Post the results and we'll go from there.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve-s:

Here we go:

I have about 14 gallons of fresh saltwater at an S.G. of 1.025. The Mg level is 1200 ppm (tested twice). The Ca level is about 375 ppm.

The current S.G. of my aquarium is right at 1.0235 which is a salinity of 32. The current Ca level is 375.

I am constantly dripping Kalk. I make up 1 tsp in 1/2 gallon of RO/DI water. I also add 3 tsp of 5% Vinegar per

lfs doesn't keep Tech-M in stock, but they can order it for me fairly quickly.Also, I can get it in Houston in a day.

I have plenty of Liquid Ca on hand.

This probably doesn't have anything to do with my chemistry issues, but I have been having major problems with Diatoms as was indicated in a previous post.I just peeled off the second outbreak and it doesn't appear to be coming back very quickly this time.

Looking forward to your reply. :)

Willem" target="_blank">http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/b...<br /> Willem

Old 07-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

The liquid Ca that kent has is a little on the watered down side. I went with their powder turbo Ca, that seems to do the job right. Also, what are you using when you mix you kalk ? kalkreactor ? shaking it up in a bucket?
Old 07-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, Kent Turbo Cal is a better deal than the liquid Calcium, which I"m convinced is for nano-tanks and not 'normal' sized tanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am using a two quart plastic bottle and I don't shake it. I usually add the Kalk, then add the vinegar. I then swirl it and fill to the top with RO/DI water.
I dose it with an IV bag which I have to periodically clean with vinegar to unplug it.

Willem
Old 07-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

usally the idea with the kalk is to let it mix as throughly as possible in a seperate container, then just remove the WATER in the container. ( a nice kalk sludge puddle should form at the bottom of the original mixing bucket. this can be used over again to make more limewater) then dose the collected water into the tank. sludge = bad in the main tank.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #17
steve-s

First things first, we need to fix the chem in the tank before promoting any dosing. Can't work with anything yet until that's back to par and balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillemd1

I have about 14 gallons of fresh saltwater at an S.G. of 1.025. The Mg level is 1200 ppm (tested twice). The Ca level is about 375 ppm.

The current S.G. of my aquarium is right at 1.0235 which is a salinity of 32. The current Ca level is 375.
Good news on those numbers. That tells me you simpley need to increase your salinity some for the Mg to get up to where it needs to be (or at least close to). Let the tank evap down and top off with the new SW until the main is the same salinity as the 14 gal you just made. You hopefully won't need the MgCl all things being equal.

Once that's done, it simpley a matter of increasing the Ca. I think you'll find the tank levels will come up some as well. If you can get the dry Turbo Ca, you'll be alot better off. Add to your 14 gal of new water, one round teaspoon of the dry Ca (20 ml of liq CaCl) and let it mix an hour or two before using in the tank.

You can either do a series of water changes with that (which I recommend, you'll be further ahead) or you can wait until the salinity is up to the 1.025. In either case you'll need to retest the chem once done to see where things stand.

Quote:
I am constantly dripping Kalk. I make up 1 tsp in 1/2 gallon of RO/DI water. I also add 3 tsp of 5% Vinegar per

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/b...alkwasser.html
No amount of kalk dripping will fix unbalanced numbers like you have. Only once the chemistry of the tank is corrected will you have any success at all. You will also need to be mindful in future to tweek the saltmix for water changes after it's upto the correct salinity. Of which I would urge you to keep towards the 1.025 on the hydrometer or if you get a refractometer, 35 ppt (1.027 SG).
Quote:
My lfs doesn't keep Tech-M in stock, but they can order it for me fairly quickly. Also, I can get it in Houston in a day.
I would hold off on that for now and see where we get with the new salinity and a few water changes, there a decent chance you may not need it or at the very least may be able to get away with some epsom salts.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wonderful!

Thank you once again.

Can you tell me what the target level of the Ca is for the new saltwater? I just estimated how much new saltwater I made up and I don't want to make any mistakes.

Willem
Old 07-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #19
steve-s

If you keep the salinity upwards of 35 ppt or on the hydrometer 1.025, target about 415 ppm Ca.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve-s:

I heard back from the manufacturer of the IO salt, i.e. aquarium systems. They indicated that a Mg level of 1000 ppm. would be a S.G. of around 1.020. Could my entire problem here be that either I have been targeting too low of a S.G. and/or my hydrometer is reading too high? The IO folks recommended targeting 1.026 or 1.027.

Thanks in advance for your advice here.

Willem

Tags
calcium, dkh

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com