Calcium build up in pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone else have problems with Ca buildup inside the impellor assembly of their pumps? Just recently, both my skimmer and Mag 7 return shut down due to the build up on the impeller and housing. Upon opening the pumps up, the impellor was coated with brown, rocklike Ca (I'm pretty sure it's Ca, anyway).

Soaking the assembly in hot vinegar causes a reaction that breaks up the coating. If not for that fact, it would be nearly impossible to remove.

So...is this common? If not, can anyone offer an explanation why it is happening to me? I'm dripping kalk 24/7, but ca/alk levels are not unusually high. I do weekly water changes (Kent salt). I last looked at the pumps about 6 months ago.

I've read that adding kalk or ca (besides just water change salt) can cause this. But they usually only caution you about this if your ca reading is above 450. Mine stays about 600 so I always watch for build up.

Ca stays around 400-415....Alk stays at around 3.00. Ph stays around 8 (Ph measurement isn't very accurate)

Ca at 600!!! Holy smokes 8O . I assume you doing that with a reactor, not Kalk.

Abiotic precip is more prone to happen where there is localized heat. I will typically have to soak the skimmer pump (Mag 3) every few months and powerheads twice a year. Very common in a reef tank IME.

Alk 2.5 - Ca 400-410

Cheers
Steve

Are you soaking them in vinegar...or have you found something better? I was thinking that CLR might work better. Vinegar is basically acetic acid (I think), so maybe any acid might work.

I use vinegar, I don't like using cleaning chems for intank equipment other than bleach. Both items being easily removed through evaporation or rinsing.

I use 10% white vinegar though, not the reg stuff. Try looking around next trip to the grocers. It works much faster.

Cheers
Steve

No to the reactor. I had been adding calcium+3 to the tank then I got the ca test kit and got a look at the reading and stopped using it. I intend to get some clams soon so I will probably be using it again then. I just ordered an alkalinity test kit so I won't know that for a couple weeks.

You're likely to be out of whack by adding a Ca supplement without knowing where you are at on Alk. I've got a very happy clam that has doubled in size in about 6 months...Ca has rarely gone much over 400.

Ca of 600 sounds really high.

Brad said:
Ca of 600 sounds really high.
It can also be quite dangerous for bi-valves. When the chem is whacked and Ca high, the flesh of the clam will begin to receed away from the shell.

electrikat, I would suggest you get that part fixed before getting any clams. Do you know the alk or Mg?

Cheers
Steve

I just made a post about test kits. I was wondering if carbonate/hardness kits were the same as alk test kits. But I went ahead and ordered the alk kit after all. Can I get the ca down with water changes?

KH and alkalinity are the same thing. If it has the option for GH, ignore it.

Water changes are an excellent means of correcting water chem issues but the salmix itself needs to be tested for balance as well. In the interim while you wait for the alk test, it's a good place to start. Even if the salmix is not well balanced it will still help bring down your Ca.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom