Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Calcium build up in pumps

Does anyone else have problems with Ca buildup inside the impellor assembly of their pumps? Just recently, both my skimmer and Mag 7 return shut down due to the build up on the impeller and housing. Upon opening the pumps up, the impellor was coated with brown, rocklike Ca (I'm pretty sure it's Ca, anyway).

Soaking the assembly in hot vinegar causes a reaction that breaks up the coating. If not for that fact, it would be nearly impossible to remove.

So...is this common? If not, can anyone offer an explanation why it is happening to me? I'm dripping kalk 24/7, but ca/alk levels are not unusually high. I do weekly water changes (Kent salt). I last looked at the pumps about 6 months ago.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've read that adding kalk or ca (besides just water change salt) can cause this. But they usually only caution you about this if your ca reading is above 450. Mine stays about 600 so I always watch for build up.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What are your alkinity levels?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ca stays around 400-415....Alk stays at around 3.00. Ph stays around 8 (Ph measurement isn't very accurate)

Ca at 600!!! Holy smokes 8O . I assume you doing that with a reactor, not Kalk.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
steve-s

Abiotic precip is more prone to happen where there is localized heat. I will typically have to soak the skimmer pump (Mag 3) every few months and powerheads twice a year. Very common in a reef tank IME.

Alk 2.5 - Ca 400-410

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are you soaking them in vinegar...or have you found something better? I was thinking that CLR might work better. Vinegar is basically acetic acid (I think), so maybe any acid might work.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
steve-s

I use vinegar, I don't like using cleaning chems for intank equipment other than bleach. Both items being easily removed through evaporation or rinsing.

I use 10% white vinegar though, not the reg stuff. Try looking around next trip to the grocers. It works much faster.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No to the reactor. I had been adding calcium+3 to the tank then I got the ca test kit and got a look at the reading and stopped using it. I intend to get some clams soon so I will probably be using it again then. I just ordered an alkalinity test kit so I won't know that for a couple weeks.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You're likely to be out of whack by adding a Ca supplement without knowing where you are at on Alk. I've got a very happy clam that has doubled in size in about 6 months...Ca has rarely gone much over 400.

Ca of 600 sounds really high.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's why I stopped using the c+3 and am waiting on the alk test.

Tags
build, build up, calcium, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com