Calcium carbonate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i was watching a video on The great barrier reef, They mentioned in the video of the calcium carbonate for corals, Then they mentioned that they calcium carbonate they use is the same exact thing classroom chalk is made of. I searched the internet looking for articles that may contain information on using this in a reef tank, i found one college student who had experimented with it after researching but it never mentioned the results of his experiment.

Hard corals don't "use" calcium carbonate, it's what they are made of. They extract calcium chloride, sodium carbonate, magnesium, etc from the water and excrete it as calcium carbonate...which is their hard skeleton.

Chalk is mostly calcium carbonate with some silt, clay and silica. It has no use in a reef tank. Calcium carbonate will not dissolve is saltwater unless the pH is around 7. It would dissolve in a calcium reactor, but it probably has too many impurities to be safe to use.

Interesting. I would have never thought about that. You certainly dont want extra silica in your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom