Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2004, 01:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Calcium deposits? on hood glass....

Out of all the weekly maint. tasks that need to be performed cleaning the hood glass didn't make it on my list for a while there. Now I have some calc deposits or something that will NOT come off with aquarium safe cleaner. Any homemade concoctions or other products that you guys use for stuff like this?

TIA,
Derek

Old 05-21-2004, 01:58 AM   #2
steve-s

Vinegar and water. Remove the glass, soak a cloth in the liquid and let it rest on the glass for a bit. Should wipe off easily after that.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was going to say the same thing but I refreshed the page to see what someone else might say first... I use vinegar to clean Soooo many things... cheaper than some household cleaners, and much better for the environment...
Old 05-21-2004, 02:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will it take off salt from the outside of the tank, or will rubbing alcohol only do that?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water will remove the salt on the outside.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

when i use water or windex or what ever there is always a hazy film after it drys
Old 05-21-2004, 06:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you probably didn't get all of the salt. Use more water, and clean it often.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamKnuckle
when i use water or windex or what ever there is always a hazy film after it drys
Make sure the windex is sprayed into the clothe (preferabley in a different room) and not directly on the glass. The chem could get into the tank and poison the water.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-22-2004, 03:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard that some commercial glass cleaners eat away and eventually break the seal in those double pain windows making them not so useful anymore... It makes me wonder how many glass cleaners should be used on tanks... Now windex comes out with a glass cleaner with vinegar... why bother, vinegar alone is good enough. You could buy a cheap spray bottle and keep a %50 vinegar %50 water solution in it and just give the tank a good wipe down every now and then. I can't say how vinegar would effect every fish but I'm quite positive any stray splatter wouldn't hurt at all.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just use a wet paper towel and then follow that with a dry paper towel or soft cloth. My 50 gallon acrylic is a different story I don't get as much spray or dripping on the front. I use Brillianize on a soft cloth. Does a great job and I guess it has been in my cabinet for about 7 years and it's still pretty full 8oz bottle. I just read it works on computer screens. When I do spray it on the tank sides I am careful to keep the cabinet door closed even though I have no sump.

50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, deposits, glass, hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com