calcium dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyOneBeat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many drips/ how do you measure how much to dose. I'm just starting my 90 gal aquarium and I have a doser and kalk. mix but I don't know how to test or how much to put in.

John

You just need to make sure what you drip equals the rate of evaporation. If you drip too much your salinity level will go down as you are putting in more freshwater in the tank than evaporation is coming out. You also need to measure ALK and Ca regularly. You want to keep your Ca level above 375ppm and below 450ppm. You ALK needs to be balanced with your Ca level.

My tank evaporates about 1-1.5 gallons a day. I can increase this amount, if needed, if I turn the fan on located over my sump so that wind blows across the water. This, in turn, allows me to dose more thus increasing the amount of ALK and Ca being added to the system.

Oh, I forgot one thing. You say you are just starting a tank, correct? I doubt you even need to dose anything at this point. Your salt mix should have all the Ca you need.

It is not until you have rapid coralline algae growth or are keeping corals and clams that you need to start dripping kalk.

Get an ALK and Ca test kit before you dose anything.

One more thing that I would like to point out..

NEVER dose your tank with anything that you are not testing for..

James

You said that your tank evaporates 1-1.5 gallons per day. First how did you figure that out, second that would mean you drip 1-1.5 gallons per day right? At what drip rate is that (Drips/Per min.) Do you know of test kits that are under $40. What kind of kalk pounder would you recommend and what are your thoughts on this pickleing lime they talk about in the monster island forum. Also ALK? what exactly is that?

Sorry I fired so many questions at once but I want to know what I'm doing before I try it.

Thanks for your help,
John

Back
Top Bottom