Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seepu
changing from an orange-ish pink to a pink-ish orange is kind of subjective.
If you wait a little longer than the recommended 20 seconds (about 1 minute) then it usually is very pink and very orange. I only noticed the orange-ish pink to a pink-ish orange before I started using C-balance so I just thought it might have been a strontium or magnesium deficiency. Either way I think you would be happier with another test. The Salifert Calcium Test Kit has a much easier to read color chart and measures in steps of 5 mg/L and has an accuracy of 10 mg/L.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for delayed response but tecwzrd jumped in and responded perfectly. I also suggest you invest in a Salifert CA test. Only thing I am going to add to tecwzrd's response is in regard to turbo CA. Turbo CA is just really concentrated CA and does not have other essential elements but we are taking about freshly mixed SW and the mix should contain all the proper elements. In short turbo CA is fine for bringing up your CA levels in fresh SW. If you are planning to keep corals later on you need to bring your salinity up to 1.025-26. This will also help your CA levels.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys... First, I will try going with another salt mix. I will bring my salinity up, I knew it was low, but wasnt going to add to the tank directly, I have 2 turbos, and snails are people too =) I made my salt mix up in a tank, and the salinity was about (gotta get a refractometer) 1.025. I did a 35%-ish water change, and it brought my tank up to about 1.022. I will get it right on next water change. My cycle is over, so it wont hurt for next weeks water change to be another good sized one.

I wont worry TOO much about CA lvls untill I get corals. It might be a while till I can convince my hubby I NEED new lights. :P

Does Salifert have a Master test kit? And what salt mix do you recommend?

Fish Art for Wearables
Seepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
IO isn’t a bad salt really, most salt mixes come up short on ca levels. I use Oceanic Salt but I think it’s more important to stick with one brand and dose ca as needed than trying to find the “perfect brand”.

Unfortunately there isn’t a master test kit for Salifert which could save you money. I wouldn’t waste money buying the test for ph, nh3, or no2. I’d just us AP test kits for that. I’d use Salifert for reef testing and only get the tests when you are getting close to setting up for reef due to the high cost. I just used froogle to find what I needed.

Test I currently have from Salifert are the no3, po4, ca & kh/alk. They sell tests for just about everything but those are the main I focused on and are mostly around $15 each. I wouldn’t mind having some other test for iodine, magnesium, & strontium but I figure since I’m doing 10% pwc each week my levels are pretty decent.

Also I wouldn’t go too long with out any fish or feeding in that 90 gal or you might have a mini-cycle again due to the bacteria dieing out from lack of nh3. Adding a pitch of flake daily should keep it going. Inverts alone wouldn’t produce much.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm adding 2 A. ocellaris tonight. I found a very healthy batch at my LFS last week, and wanted to do a good water change before adding them. I really looked at their batch, and it seemed that some had thick black lines outlining the white bands, and some only had a very fine black line edging the white. How else to identifiy true perculas and the more common ocellaris? I read here somewhere, number of spines on their dorsal fin?

Fish Art for Wearables
Seepu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com