calcium, iodine supplements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rthoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just wonder what supplements i shoud add to my tank, are they definitly needed? Xenia for example, what would i want to add to my tank to keep it healty?

IMO maintaining Calcium and Carbonate are the only supplements required for healthy Xenia.

I use Kalk but any additives that add these ions in a 1:2 ratio will work just as well (or better). a Calcium reactor or a two-part additive (B-Ionic) are less hastle but more $$.

Guy

I do not recommend Iodide, most reefs are already near or over the toxic level according to a recent study.

They told me at the LFS that iodine is a must. I change about 10% of my water about once a week or so some of my trace elements get replenished. I am going to get some calcium, and i'm gonna hold off on the iodine for now.

Problem with iodine is it is a poison. Iodine is used as a disinfectant, in our world, I liken it to adding other disinfectants we use in our world to your reef. It is a trace element, but so is copper, you won't see that LFS rushing to put copper in their tanks. Bottom line is any element , major, minor or trace, can be over done, and you should not add anything to your tank that you do not test for. Since I do not know of anyone that makes an affordable and reliable test for iodine, the only iodine added to my tank will be in a water change, which is plenty to maintain NSW levels of iodide.

I think the key to take out of RR's response is the "don't add anything you are not testing for"

for the calcuim there are a few ways of doing it. Guy mentioned B-ionic which is a two part additive that you do once per day to keep the peaks and valleys to a minimum. Another option is using a product like sea-chem's calcium additive. You add this once per week, but you will get bigger peaks and valleys (more in a sec on this). the last option, or option ill mention is one Guy said, the calcuim reactor. This is the most expensive out of the box, but will save money over then long haul.

My suggestion is this, if you do not have clams, or hard corals your calcuim usage isn't going to be all the quick so a product like sea chem's is going to work well as long as you test and make sure you are adding when you need to. If you have clams, hard corals you need to look at b-ionic or calcuim reactor for the bigger tanks.

Oddly enough, i have clams and my rate of calcium is pretty high when you add in the other users including the coralline and shrimp and snails. I use the b-ionic, but i also use the sea chem. i modified the sea chem to an every-other-day dose and my calcuim stays pretty high without going over board.

I like to keep my calcuim at 450-475, but others may take a 400-ish style.

just do it in stages as taking your calcuim from 300 to 450 overnight will not do you any favors at all.

just my 2 cents, or from the looks of the post, 5 cents

Indy

Indy,

Great advice on the "don't test - then don't dose.

I have a word of caution. If you use a two part additive (Ca & ALK) AND a Ca additive there could be problems long term. Eventually your ALK will become depleted.

I advise always adding these two additived (Ca & Carbonate) in a 1:2 ratio unless you are trying to fix an unbalanced condition.

At 460ppm Ca your ALK should be in the 3.5 Meq/L range.

There IS a relationship between these two ions.

Guy

My LFS told me i needed to add calcium after he did a water test, I am adding Kents Calcium. Do I also need to add something for the Alkinity? Or test? Also will adding calcium make my PH go up, because my PH is at 8.8 everything else Nitrate, Amonia etc... is at 0.

BTW I am new to this board! And look forward to the help!

Thanks Everyone

chrisareston,

Welcome to the board....

What are your alk readings? PH of 8.8 is rather high. What type of water are you using to top off your tank from evap? Is this the same water you use to make up the saltwater?

I do not have a alk test... Also the water is the same water, I use tap water but I put something that takes out the chlorine. I have not had any problems with the PH before

Iodine is a poison. however iodide (note the spelling closely) is a supplement for fish tanks. I use seachem iodide in combination with b-onic adn have great luck.

Back
Top Bottom