Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2004, 06:08 PM   #1

Calcium - Kent Tech vs. B-Ionic

Anyone notice any difference between these two-part calcium/alk buffers? Anything to distinguish between them?

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

no they are pretty much the same we sell them aty my ork and when we supplement we just alternate between the two.

Old 06-06-2004, 12:48 AM   #3

Actually the Kent is alot weaker. Th B-ionic a much better product with a higher concentrated level of calsium. I really do not recomend Kent products since they are really not that good. They are well marketed but they just lack the potency of products like ESV or Seachem.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
B-ionic a much better product
I agree, no clouding of the water, you can "adjust" your numbers (ca, alk) much more easily with the b-ionic. I noticed everything looked better after I started dosing it.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #5

Thanks.

One concern I had is that at some point after using B-Ionic for months, my alk went way up. I eventually got it down, by just using the calc part, and then switched to Kent. Kent, however, seems to be weaker...less coralline forming on the live rock.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I user the kent stuff exculsively. I bought a gallon of each A and B last month for $30. Anyways, I have coralline growth everywhere. My dead base rock is almost completely pink and purple now. Not bad since I set the tank up in february.

Jim
Old 06-07-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jim, I just bought Kent's A&B. Can you tell me how much calcium does it raise after each recommended dosage?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Truthfully I haven't measured before and after. I usually use the recommended dosage every other day. That seems to keep everything in check. It was all out of wack for a while when i started the tank. Then I found out that the uncured sand tends to remove magnesium from the water until it gets saturated. At that point, the water cannot hold as much calcium as we want it to.

Once I got the magnesium back up to par, the calcium levels also returned to the 400 ppm range.

Jim
Old 06-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Once I got the magnesium back up to par, the calcium levels also returned to the 400 ppm range.
Does the 2 part buffer do that or do you have to do something else?
Old 06-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

nope, you have to add magnesium to the tank. If you add it, remember to test for it.

Jim

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com