Calcium Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bckane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im trying to get my calcium level up from 360 mg/l to 400 mg/l. Im using Kent Marine Liguid Calcium. Im adding 1/4 teaspoon a day, what Im trying to say is should try to raise it all in one day or little by little each day.?

How much is it raising it per day?

I would not try to do it all at once, but spread out over several hours out of the day, or two days. What is your ALK? What is your Mg?

I need to pick up a new Alkalinity Kit today, I was getting all kinds of reading with my other kit. On the calcium it started at about 340 mg/l adding 1/4 teaspoons per day for a week and its up to 360 mg/l So its up 20 points in a week. maybe I do a double dose tonight. All my littler feather duster from the live rock seem to be gone. don't kown if this has anything to do with the Calcium.......the tanks been up for only a month now

With CaCl, you need to watch the ALK, CaCl added too quickly will deplete the ALK. IMO, you should do a large water change with balanced water and then use a balanced solution to maintain levels.

To raise calcium quickly use kent turbo calcium. But be sure and test both Ca and Alk when raising one or the other. I agree a water change would be also help.

I say this because you said you were new....

The 2 cups of water you are topping off with should be non-salt water. You're replacing the water that has evaporated. You should not be adding salt in your top off water.

Ca and Alk get used up by a tank at the same time. You should only attempt to move Ca upward if you know exactly what your Alk is doing.

Some of the earlier advice is best. Do a big water change, then begin to move your Ca upward using a 2 part (A/B) additive. Don't try to move Ca on it's own unless you know exactly what effect you are having on Alk.

bckane said:
Ok my alk is 110 mg/l and my Cal is 380 mg/l
Your actually not that far off. Balanced Ca for a 2 mEq/l alk is about 400 ppm. Personally I would only bump it a bit more or as properly advised a few water changes. Remember that when dealing with the chem, you need not target exact numbers. Just being in the right range is often sufficient.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom