Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Calcium Levels

The past week one of my leather corals was acting a bit strange, so I checked all my different chemical levels and noticed only the calcium was a bit high (460ppm). I stopped adding reef builder thinking it would come down quick, but it has not. I did a water change and checked it again and it stayed the same. Any suggestions? I hate completely stopping adding the reef builder since it has other chemicals in it for the coral. It's been one week since I've added anything to the tank. My leather coral has perked back up though.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Why are you adding Reef Builder to begin with? Reef Builder claims to raise alk.... are you testing your alk. If not, you never add anything you're not testing for.

What kind of corals do you have in your tank? Unless you have SPS corals, the minerals supplied by the salt in your regular water changes is typically sufficient to feed your corals.......

Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had my tank for two years now, and was told by my local fish store to use it for proper growth of my corals. Yes I do have SPS corals. The alkalinity is fine. I check all my chemical levels once a week on a normal basis.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have had calcium as high as 700pm before with no problems. Reef Builder is for ALk. LFS will tell you anything to sell you something. If you want to start adding calcium and alk for your sps. Look into an ATO system from BRS and try Kalk
Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will have to look into that. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef builder is perfectly fine to use when raising or maintaining alkalinity. I'd like to know your dKH tast level if you have it. If your corals are doing better without the Reef Builder it could mean it's not ideal. Honestly, I don't think your calcium is high. 460 is a great target point.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

No to steal the thread, but how would one go about lowering calcium. I used to read 380 and dosed calcium once about a couple month ago and it went up to 580. My DKH is at 11. I've done a few water changes to hopefully lower it, but no luck. I run my salinity at 1.026 measured with a spectrometer.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted
No to steal the thread, but how would one go about lowering calcium. I used to read 380 and dosed calcium once about a couple month ago and it went up to 580. My DKH is at 11. I've done a few water changes to hopefully lower it, but no luck. I run my salinity at 1.026 measured with a spectrometer.
Just do water changes with normal non-reef salt like instant ocean until it gets to where you want it.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry it took so long to reply. I could not find a alk/dKh test kit. I had to order it online. I tested everything today. Everything looks good. Calcium is back to 420, since I stopped adding the reef builder. But you were right my alkalinity is at 11. Do you recommend any specific brands for adding calcium that will not raise my alkalinity? Also, could having the higher alkalinity cause green algae growth? We have noticed an increase recently.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also, I've always had issues keeping snails, starfish, and shrimp alive past 4mths. Could this be affecting them too?

Tags
calcium, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com