Calcium Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchkin041804

Aquarium Advice Regular
The past week one of my leather corals was acting a bit strange, so I checked all my different chemical levels and noticed only the calcium was a bit high (460ppm). I stopped adding reef builder thinking it would come down quick, but it has not. I did a water change and checked it again and it stayed the same. Any suggestions? I hate completely stopping adding the reef builder since it has other chemicals in it for the coral. It's been one week since I've added anything to the tank. My leather coral has perked back up though.

Why are you adding Reef Builder to begin with? Reef Builder claims to raise alk.... are you testing your alk. If not, you never add anything you're not testing for.

What kind of corals do you have in your tank? Unless you have SPS corals, the minerals supplied by the salt in your regular water changes is typically sufficient to feed your corals.......

I've had my tank for two years now, and was told by my local fish store to use it for proper growth of my corals. Yes I do have SPS corals. The alkalinity is fine. I check all my chemical levels once a week on a normal basis.

I have had calcium as high as 700pm before with no problems. Reef Builder is for ALk. LFS will tell you anything to sell you something. If you want to start adding calcium and alk for your sps. Look into an ATO system from BRS and try Kalk

Reef builder is perfectly fine to use when raising or maintaining alkalinity. I'd like to know your dKH tast level if you have it. If your corals are doing better without the Reef Builder it could mean it's not ideal. Honestly, I don't think your calcium is high. 460 is a great target point.

No to steal the thread, but how would one go about lowering calcium. I used to read 380 and dosed calcium once about a couple month ago and it went up to 580. My DKH is at 11. I've done a few water changes to hopefully lower it, but no luck. I run my salinity at 1.026 measured with a spectrometer.

Spotted said:
No to steal the thread, but how would one go about lowering calcium. I used to read 380 and dosed calcium once about a couple month ago and it went up to 580. My DKH is at 11. I've done a few water changes to hopefully lower it, but no luck. I run my salinity at 1.026 measured with a spectrometer.

Just do water changes with normal non-reef salt like instant ocean until it gets to where you want it.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I could not find a alk/dKh test kit. I had to order it online. I tested everything today. Everything looks good. Calcium is back to 420, since I stopped adding the reef builder. But you were right my alkalinity is at 11. Do you recommend any specific brands for adding calcium that will not raise my alkalinity? Also, could having the higher alkalinity cause green algae growth? We have noticed an increase recently.

Also, I've always had issues keeping snails, starfish, and shrimp alive past 4mths. Could this be affecting them too?

Munchkin041804 said:
Sorry it took so long to reply. I could not find a alk/dKh test kit. I had to order it online. I tested everything today. Everything looks good. Calcium is back to 420, since I stopped adding the reef builder. But you were right my alkalinity is at 11. Do you recommend any specific brands for adding calcium that will not raise my alkalinity? Also, could having the higher alkalinity cause green algae growth? We have noticed an increase recently.

Bulkreefsupply 2 part or kalkwasser

I have alk levels up to 13 and have seen no problems. But you can dose a two part solution and just not dose the alk part as much or at all. The calcium can also be added with a Kalkwasser drip, but it also increases alk some. Alkalinity solutions can raise ph if it uses soda ash, baking soda also raises alk, but has less effect on ph. But having a high alk level adds a lot of buffering for preventing ph swings, which is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom