Calcium levels for Berghia Verrucicornis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrightSound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20gal tank infested with aiptasia and found out one of the nudibranchs (berghia verrucicornis) love to eat aiptasia. Just wondering if they have any special requirements like desired calcium levels, desired sg & pH & temp levels, etc. Thanxs!

I was wondering, in particular, if my low calcium level of 350ppm would adversely affect Berghia?

No, low Ca won't hurt the Nudi but it will affect the health of univalves as well as other CaCO3 consuming organisms. It can also make alk hard to control.

pH should be preferabley averaging 8.1-8.3 but depending on the time of day tested 7.8 (early AM) to 8.5 (late PM) is quite common. Salinity should be closer tp NSW values 35 ppt (1.027 SG) & temps in the range of 78-80°.

Cheers
Steve

Thanxs Steve for the info. My params are pH=8.2, salinity=1.024, calcium=350ppm,alk=180ppm. I bought Kent's Turbo-Calcium: do you have that link where it tells you how much Turbo-Calcium you need to add to go from 350 to 425? Thanxs!

awesome calculator. I think I'm gonna start applying very small doses of calcium until I get above 400ppm and then order the Berghia (stuff is expensive - $24.99 a pop)

Use a ½ teaspoon each day, should be there by the middle of next week.

Cheers
Steve

I'm been adding just a tiny bit of calcium each day and I just took my reading and it's up to 400ppm (the kit only measures in increments of 50ppm). I think I'm ready for some berghia?

Back
Top Bottom